Some old pics

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
rscapriman
True Blue

Some old pics

Post by rscapriman »

Hi all, here are a few old photos I have dug out quality not brilliant nor was the photographer.
Regards Len.

My father at a tender age

heres another with mother

heres another with comrades

this one is the first tractor I drove a Power Major along side our E27N whilst my father was practising for a ploughing match with a Fordson Elite plough

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Excellent photos Len.

It does not matter if they are not up to modern standards. It is really interesting to look back at how our old machines were used in their prime. These are real historical treasures!!

What make is the trailed combine?
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

rscapriman
True Blue

Post by rscapriman »

Hi Chris glad you enjoyed them I'm not sure what make the trailed combine is I will ask for you.
Regards Len.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Allis All Crop 80. Had a complete Allis B as a power unit less the drives to the wheels. Also had rubber beater bars. Crop passed through the drum then onto the straw walkers where it did a right angle turn and came out on the side.

Good little combine for the year and yes, I have worked on one, its mentioned in my "Memories" somewhere.

Also looks like the straw was cleared by an Allis Rotobaler. A round baler before big round bales were thought of. Think they went into production in the 1940's but could be wrong about that. Certainly they were in my village in the early 1950's because that was the first time I remember seeing a triangular stack.

We sold a lot of second hand ones in the 1960's and 1970's to paper manufacturers. They were modified and installed on the end of the line making rolls of paper.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

David in Wales
True Blue

Post by David in Wales »

Interesting to see the righthand tractor has one of the 1st Lambourne cabs, full width without doors. You scrambled over the 3 point to gain access. Bet not many exist today.
David

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

They were the ones where you climbed over the arms and implement to get into the seat. HSE would go balmy today :D

Fathers old Major PNG 606 had one of those AND a Cameron Gardner rear loader! It was a bit like getting into the space shuttle because when the loader was raised to clear the spreader, when transporting the muck to the field, there was very little room between the boom and the roof of the cab. And to think we complained when Massey only fitted one door to their cabs in the 1980's. :lol:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

David in Wales
True Blue

Post by David in Wales »

good job that we only weighed 10 stone when we were young!!!
David

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Lovely photos from a yester year. Going to show ignorance now but what is loaded on the trailers with the three tractors?
Thanks Peter

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Len,

Lovely pictures, from a time I felt very comfortable in!
For some reason, it seemed more "magic" then, working as a team, rather than now,... working your tail off on your own.

Pete,

The trailers are loaded with those little round bales, mentioned in the previous posts, and most likely straw,( if the pictures were taken at about the same time as the combining ones)

I never saw one of these balers running, but my Dad said the bales were very weather-proof.
We had a Massey Harris (27?) baler, with it's own engine and the "Donkey head" packer. Made lovely bales. Bale chamber held 2 1/2 bales and they came out on edge.
Sod to start when hot, though!!
Got smart though, and most times left it running while we had out tea!

Thanks again for the pics, Len.
made me feel quite "time -sick"!.....and homesick, but the farms long gone, under a sea of 3rd rate "developement" below the Eston hills. (N. Riding Yorks)

R.

Huzey
True Blue

Post by Huzey »

Lovely piccies. I see all the tractors are Gloucestershire registrations. Were they Gloucestershire based? I wonder if they came from the old Bristol street motors depot in Andoveresford, which later became Victory machinery, and then T H White, where I worked for 5 years? :D
All the best
Huzey

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Nice stuff Len, :clap:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I