FSM PTO speed.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
RH
True Blue

FSM PTO speed.

Post by RH »

Another FSM question if I may;

I gather the older FM had a standard pto speed of 722 rpm's, and I gather also, that Canadian dealers fitted a revised PTO with an extra ratio that brought it down to the more common 540 rpm...as is was rattling the guts out of worn out Canadian equipment!

Can anyone tell me which is the standard PTO speed is for the Super major?
I have been using mine on a rotary rake, and it seems fast! and I really have to throttle back and use a high gear to prevent it bashing the hay too much.
Does it just "Seem" fast, or has it somehow escaped having the reduction done?

Thank you in advance!

Richard.

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi RH,

May be my article about the raised pto on the Fordson-Wiki on this site may help you?
At 1600 engine-rpm the pto turns about 700 rpm.

With the raised pto, the pto turns 540 rpm at 1600 engine-rpm.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Thank you for the reply, Pascal.

The raised pto would be very handy for some operations, plus having the benefit of slowing things down.

what prompted my previous post, (Apart from the pto appearing to be "Fast") was a short article on the Fordson Major in Lyle Walkers very entertaing book, "THe Old Ones".

Here is a short quote; (P 98.)

...."PTO came from a primary transmission drive, it ran at a fixed speed regardless of gearshift position (The American way).
Standard speed, however, was 722 rpm. Too fast for a baler or combine in this country.
Engine had to be throttled back, otherwise she'd shake worn- out old Canadian machinery to pieces.
On the other hand, if a Major was teamed with something that could stand such blandishment, a John Deere swather, for example, you had a terrific outfit for flax, durum, and lodged winter wheat.
A revised pto, which incorporated an extra ratio, broughtspeed back to 540 rpm.
This option was supplied without comment by perseptive Canadian dealers as time went on."

Having just re-read the above quote, I think Lyle is meaning that the raised pto was fitted, probably quite commonly.
(For a start, I was thinking that a pto with different "guts" was fitted.)

Thanks for helping clear things up, Pascal!

All the best,

Richard.