Service exchange clutches

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Ian
True Blue

Service exchange clutches

Post by Ian »

I saw an advert in one of those antique tractor magazines for service exchange clutches, but sadly I lost it. Thinking of changing out the engine in our power major, but it needs a new (dual) clutch too. Anyone got any contact details for firms that do this ? Or is a dual clutch easy enough to do on our own ..

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Service exchange clutches

Post by Dandy Dave »

You can do it yourself as long as you have a level place to do it. The parts are a little pricey for the dual clutch, but well worth it when you are able to put the old tractor in gear and proceed with the tasks at hand. We have been discussing Clutches on here lately in some other threads.

Look here. http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=2&t=3446 Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

I've actually helped put a few clutches in other fords, the hard part was really getting the tractor back together. But never done a double clutch. Our other fords just have 1 clutch disc, and the bit which engages the PTO has separate discs somewhere else in the back end. I've read you need a special tool (which you can't buy ?) for dual clutches ?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The Live Clutch is a hard thing to estimate cost on until you have seen what you have got.

On some it will be just a cost of replacement discs, others you will need the complete unit as nothing will be serviceable. The aluminium cover wears where the levers pivot and will also crack if it has been subject to heavy loadings or loader work. The springs may need replacing and so may the clevis pins. The bottom plate and also the centre plate were also prone to surface cracks and distortion due to heat.

You also need to trust the people you buy from and be certain what they offer is good.

My own feelings about a Live Clutch unit, as it ages, is take no chances with it. They can fail.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Ian wrote:I've actually helped put a few clutches in other fords, the hard part was really getting the tractor back together. But never done a double clutch. Our other fords just have 1 clutch disc, and the bit which engages the PTO has separate discs somewhere else in the back end. I've read you need a special tool (which you can't buy ?) for dual clutches ?
I replaced a PTO Muti disk clutch pack in a 7700 Ford Tractor a few years ago for a local farmer. The lineing on the clutch plates was almost totaly gone and particles were all over the botton of the trans. Also, there was a broken tab that held the clutch brake. These PTO units are engaged by hydraulic pressure and when the disks get thin, the oil bypasses the pressure piston that keeps the plates together. Someone must have abused this one. The poor bloke I fixed it for bought the tractor that way. Now back to the Fordson Major dual clutch.
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major