Super Major Hydraulic Issues

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Steven B
True Blue

Super Major Hydraulic Issues

Post by Steven B »

Have some issues with one of my Super Majors and hope someone can give me some pointers.

To start with the lift was slow to raise and lower. The oil was like sludge so lift cover off, good clean out along with clean lower filter and new return filter. Checked the control valve and unloading valve, they are not sticking. New oil and they are still slow.

So, of with the auxiliary service valve assembly. I discover the head of a teck screw purposely wedged into the oil galery at the rear centre of the lift. :scratchhead: :scratchhead: I remove it and replace the service valve body. Now there is no lift at all :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :cry: :cry:

I am over it for today. Workshop manual tells me jack and someone wants the tractor to bale his hay. I was going to swap the valve body off my Dexta but I want to get to the bottom of the issue. I do not want to put that screw back in. To rough for me.

Any Ideas??

Steve
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Super Major Hydraulic Issues

Post by Brian »

Hi Steve,
Knew I should have serviced the lot of your tractors when I was there! :cry:

Try the plate off the Dexta and see what happens, if you can be a little more specific on which port the screw was in it would help.

I am wondering whether there is an issue with the flow control in the Aux Service Plate and the dump port has been semi-blocked to get some pressure into the lift cylinder.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Hi Brian

It is the rear most port in the centre line of the lift that was blocked.

I am also suspecting the flow control.

Steve
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Ok, swapped the auxiliary service plate assembly off the Dexta. :twisted: They now work a treat. Tested with a heavy offset disc harrow and they raise very quickly. :clap: :lol:

So, I will pull the flow control valve out and see what the issue is. :?

At least Ian can get off and do some mowing in the meantime. His Major has "Major" issues with sleeve rot. :cry:

Steve

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Ok, I think I have found the problem.

Busy fitting new brakes to my D850 truck today but curiosity got the better of me so I swung back onto that valve late this afternoon.

Pulled the flow control valve out. It was sweet and free and was in the correct way.

Went to remove the flow control knob. Got my pin punch to drive out the roll pin using my small ball pean "knockometer". Would not budge. Well, don't force it, get a larger hammer. It took 2 sharp blows with a lump hammer to shift it. Once off the inner hole had suffered some damage, like the hole is now oblong. Ah Ah. The hole is off centre so it should only go in one way. I now believe the flow control spindle has been put in 180 degrees out. Some ANIMAL has forced the pin in off centre :cry: :cry: .

Some people should just not own tractors. Well, may get a chance to test it tomorrow.

Steve

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Ok. That was the problem. Flow control spindle in back to front. They now work a treat.

I just love a happy ending. :D :D

I just wonder how they went about "fixing" it :scratchhead: :shock:

I would never dream of blocking a a port with a screw then consider it "job done, its a good un."