industrial gearbox and back end in to super major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
kcraigmile
Not Quite Blue Yet

industrial gearbox and back end in to super major

Post by kcraigmile »

Hi, just a quick question, does anyone know if the gearbox and crown and bevel and back end from an industrial major would fit a super major

Are the gear ratios the same on the industrial or are they different from the super majors

Reason i ask is that if possible i may consider swapping the crownwheel or whole gearbox if the industrial has longer ratios to give a higher road speed

Obviously this would only be possible if the parts are interchangeable, hence the reason for the questions

as always all help and advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Keith

Steven B
True Blue

Re: industrial gearbox and back end in to super major

Post by Steven B »

The short answer is the ratios are the same. Is your Super Major a New Performance Super or is it the early orange wheel?

Most New Performance tractors had a lower ratio, the older high speed version being an option.

Steve
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

We had a long disscusion about this awhile back. The gearsets will interchange, but must be changed as a set. If it is an older major, this means cutting the rivits, and bolting the gear to the supermajor differential so that you still retain the differential lock. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

kcraigmile
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by kcraigmile »

Thanks for the replies guys, the tractor is a new performance model with the older high speed version, would the industrial have a higher road speed than this

cheers and happy new year to you all

Keith

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

Ok, the NPSM had diffrent gearbox ratios to the orange wheel. The gearbox ratios are higer in the NPSM, this being offset by a much lower diff ratio.

If you have the NPSM with the optional 3.5:1 ratio crown wheel and pinion you have the fastes gearset available. It will be about 1mph faster than the older tractors at 1700 rpm.

Larger diameter tyres is one option. Fuel injector pump from a Thames Trader truck is the other. The truck engine revs much harder but pulling power down lower will suffer.

Steve
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

mstainton
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mstainton »

so witch major (E1A,DIESEL,POWER,SUPER AND NP SUPER MAJOR) has the fastest out put from the gearbox to create the higher road speed

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Steven B wrote: If you have the NPSM with the optional 3.5:1 ratio crown wheel and pinion you have the fastes gearset available. It will be about 1mph faster than the older tractors at 1700 rpm.
As posted in the quote above. New Performance Super Major with that optional gear set. I believe the ratio should be 3.3:1 Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

mstainton
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mstainton »

i have seen a blue grey super major with the faster diff ratio in with a diesel major gearbox,he claims it does 40 mph just trying to get the same result.thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is strange. The Fordson Major with the 3.3 ratio which was standard did not do 40mph and the 4.4 is slower so I think your friend did something else.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Gee, maybe your buddy owns this one. :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIbxyOQj ... re=related
6 Cylinder, turbo, and oversize tires! :wink: Claims it is the fastest in all of Ireland. And that is no Green Beer Tale! :beer: Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

mstainton
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mstainton »

so the only way for more road speed is to go in to the gearbox and change somthing,do you have any idea what to do or any diaghrams of the gearboxs.Cheers

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

The only way you will get more road speed then what is readily available from a Fordson parts tractor is to go and have a rearend gear set made to whatever ratio you want. Expect to spend a lot of money $$$ for a one off set. Set up time, designing, machining, hardening, grinding to a finished, and laping in a gear set takes a lot of time. The more teeth you have on the pinion, and the less teeth you have on the ring gear will make you go faster. The trade off is you will suffer for power in the field and on hills. Not really sure why you would want to do this other than to flop over on a corner??? In my opinnion these tractors go fast enough just the way they are, and can roll over easy enough also. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

Seems like the road speed is quite a hot topic, since I have seen quite some questions about this (including from myself :oops: ).
May be it has anything to do with the current culture, to do everything more quickly? :scratchhead:

Besides from the lovely sound of the 6 cylinder turbo engine, I wonder what's done to the tractor to drive it 45 mph...
The effect of larger tyres isn't that much. I guess very high rpm on the engine?
He better not have a dual clutch... 8)
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I doubt the tractor in the film is actually going that fast and may not even be capable of 45 MPH. You would never want to drive that fast in a field for fear of hitting a chuck hole and dumping over. Slow down and enjoy the scenery a bit and live. The thing you guys are not thinking about is stopping all that weight in motion even if it were possible to go that fast with standard Fordson brakes. If one is a little grabby it could also drag you sideways and flip the tractor never mind a worn front end. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Major Mike
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Major Mike »

I suppose that ment to be 45 km/h. It´s possible with Cargo 6 motor, with 16.9x34 tyres goes 43-44 km/h, measured gps. Quite revving and extended super major begins bouncing easily. :yikes:
Super Major -62, Super Major 6 Cargo ~130 hp, ford 4550 & Haka, Ford 6600 backhoe, Valtra 6400

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Major Mike wrote:I suppose that ment to be 45 km/h. It´s possible with Cargo 6 motor, with 16.9x34 tyres goes 43-44 km/h, measured gps. Quite revving and extended super major begins bouncing easily. :yikes:
My Point Exactly. If the tires are loaded especially. The fluid will slop around constantly changing the Dynamic Ballance and cause bouncing. Ever try to stop a bouncing tractor? :shock: :cry: Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major