Well, I Went and Did It!

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Well, I Went and Did It!

Post by JC »

I,ve been trying to find the time to look at this Super Six for a couple of weeks now, and I can't seem to get it done. So, I called the owner this afternoon and made him an offer over the phone. He took it, and I mailed him a cashiers check. I usually don't buy things without looking at them first, but I figured that my chances are slim of ever finding one for sale again, especially within 250 miles of here. I thought I'd better get this one before it got away.
I haven't seen it yet, but I have a couple of pictures. I'll take some more when I go get it in a few weeks.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

What is green with envy and sitting in a hotel in Bonny Scotland.

ME! :clap:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

Magic, absolutely magic JC, looks a fantastic project, get more pics up asap.!!

cheers Sandy

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

JC
Looks good. Does she go, and what does she need.
As Sandy said, more pictures please when you get her home.
Kiwi Kev

JC

Post by JC »

I've got a pretty big smile on my face right now. The only thing that could make me any happier, is if a Triple D suddenly appeared in my driveway.
Brian, I don't think green is your color. Why don't you take a little vacation and come help me work on the old girl? That should bring your normal blue color back right away!
Sandy, be prepared. I'm sure I'll be bothering you (and Brian) for lots of advice.
Kev, It doesn't run. I can't even remember the last time I bought a tractor that did! The (former) owner said that he was running a pump with it and it quit running, now the engine is seized up. He said that it was full of oil and anti-freeze and there's nothing obviously wrong with it. No rods sticking through the block. The rest of the tractor should be in pretty good shape. He says that it has around 2300 hours on it.
It will be a fun project. I'll keep you guys posted.

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Congrats, JC! Have fun with it!

henk

Post by henk »

Some things don't need words. :clap: :beer: :thumbs:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi JC,

Some things are just better bought sight unseen. I bought an E27N some years ago via a friend near where I grew up as a boy completely on the basis that three tyres held air and it was complete. It was not a large sum of money, but the reward was enormous. The tractor I ended up buying was the very same tractor I learned to drive on when I was 10 years old. Good luck with your project.

Regards, Frank.

JC

Post by JC »

Hi Frank,
That's neat that you found the tractor that you learned to drive on by accident. The tractor that I learned on was either my Dad's Major or his John Deere B. I don't remember which one I drove first.
Dad is 80 now and he still uses the Major sometimes. I have the B now, but it needs some work. I won't have to go far to find those. I'd like to find his old D-7 Cat, which was the first crawler I ever ran. That old Cat weighed 40 tons, and the price of scrap is around $300 a ton now, so I doubt that I'll ever find it.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi JC,

My Dad is 80 as well but has retired from the land for over 20 years now. Mum won't let him go near a tractor now. If you had ever driven with him you would know why.

My parents retired from farming a little over 20 years ago. A man came to their door and made an offer too good to refuse for the farm. They took the money and had their first holiday in probably 30 years. I was never a farmer so I did not try to stop them, but as the saying goes, you can take the boy out of the country, but not the country out of the boy. As a result I have two Fordsons in my inner city back yard in Melbourne. I don't know what the neighbours think when I go for a spin up the back lane, but they are still talking to me.

The only dozer I ever drove was my fiend's International. I used it to give my first car a good burial. It died of cancer (rust). I dug a four foot deep trench, pushed the car in, ran over it and filled in the hole. I wish I could remember what model it was but it had a cable driven blade and the engine was a huge 4 cylinder diesel that was started with a donkey engine. It weighed a good twenty tons at least. I will never forget using the one inch drive tourque wrench tightening the head bolts down on that dozer when he first got it running. It was this same friend that found the old Fordson that I learned to drive on, but he had no idea that it was our old tractor at the time. It hadn't moved far though, it was only 14 km from home.

Good luck with your Super Six. I wish I had enough room to keep all the tractors that I want, a Super Six would make a great lawn mower if I could find one, but my wife would not have a bar of that. She is probably right though, if you parked the Super Six on the lawn there would be no room for the grass to grow anyway.

Regards, Frank.

P.S. I will never forget which tractor threw me over the side fence when I was nine years old. My father made the promise that he would teach me how to drive the tractor when I could crank start it. Flying over two rows of barbed wire did not stop me and when I had just turned ten I got my driving lesson.