My tractor

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Fordson
Not Quite Blue Yet

My tractor

Post by Fordson »

I have a 1960' Fordson Super Major who is undergoing restoration. It was in "working" order when i bought it, but the hydraulic was not working. I haven't found out what that is yet because it turned out that the differential lock was stuck... So i had to get the diff out, this turned out to be quite a operation.

Here you see the tractor when it arrived at my house.
After some screwing in the garage
Rear axel
A bit further...
Quite a operation just to get the diff out
Empty
Parts

Now it is just to get it all cleaned up and put it together again, then focus on the hydraulicproblem...

Regards Marius :D :D
The difficult is a trifle, the impossible a challenge!

- 1960 Fordson Super Major - Under restauration

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: My tractor

Post by Dandy Dave »

Looks like you have a fairly good tractor to begin with. You may want to check some of the hydraulic stuff before you put the top back on. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Fordson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordson »

Dandy Dave wrote:Looks like you have a fairly good tractor to begin with. You may want to check some of the hydraulic stuff before you put the top back on. Dandy Dave!
Yes i think so! Well yes, that's the plan.. Does anyone know about some good sites for parts to the Major? I know about agrilineproducts.. Maybe that is the best?
Marius :beer:

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Every time I see one of our tractors with the guts out on a table I ask myself what kind of paint is that on the inside? And what color is it, (because I'm color blind I have to ask that to.) It has to be some kind of strong paint to be soaked in oil all it's life. Does anybody know?
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mark wrote:Every time I see one of our tractors with the guts out on a table I ask myself what kind of paint is that on the inside? And what color is it, (because I'm color blind I have to ask that to.) It has to be some kind of strong paint to be soaked in oil all it's life. Does anybody know?
It's red! :wink:
Looks the same colour as the primer underneath the blue on the outside, but it it the same paint?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I think they refered to the paint as "glyptal." It was painted on new castings before machining to keep them from rusting while they aged for a period of time. Also, if a casting has porous spots, it helps to seal the oil from seeping in. After the castings have had oil in them it is very difficult to remove the oil, and repaint the surface so that it will not peel. Cleaning with laquer thinner may be your best bet if you really feel you need to paint it. Moisture will rust the raw castings inside of our old Fordsons over time because the cavities are large, and the oil will not reach the top cover on the rear axle for instance. In a hot, and cold enviorment, like we have here in the North East U.S.A., and also in places like England, condensation is inevitable. Dandy Dave!
Here it is...
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... FgQ8wIwAw#

1960 Fordson Power Major

starr
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by starr »

Glyptal is used to paint the inside of many large industrial electric motors. Check with your local motor rebuild shop. It is a tuff product. Does all the stuff Dave said.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Didn't mean to mess with you're thread Marius, I've always wondered what kind of paint that was. Thanks Dave you're a walking encyclopedia :clap: Ben, I could tell it was reddish color, but to me it looked a little brown to, so it's kind of confusing as to what the REAL color is, so I have to ask. I really didn't care what color it was, just what kind of paint it was. Not knowing colors all my life doesn't bother me. But I do get made fun of by a lot of people when I call brown, red, and grey, green. :lol: Thanks again guys, now let's let Marius get back to talking about his blue darling.
See ya
Mark

Kipper
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kipper »

Tractor looks good, are tractors mostly in better order over there with you?
What was wrong with the diff lock?

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

My poor old Grandpappy could not tell Green from Blue. When we were walking around tag sales, and antique markets years ago, He would ask me if something was green, and if I said yes, he would ask me if I was sure. :scratchhead: ... God rest his old soul. The sad part is he could not tell that beautiful Fordson Blue that stood out, from john deere green that kept them hid in the field so well. :wink: Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Fordson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordson »

Kipper wrote:Tractor looks good, are tractors mostly in better order over there with you?
What was wrong with the diff lock?
I don't know how the condition on these tractors are in other countries, but not all is in this order.. I was looking at many tractors fore sale before i bought this, because they didn't look as good as this one. The rod who pulls back the diff lock was missing a nut, so it was stuck in there. So i had to look for a nut, so now this is working, the plan was to put it together next Saturday.

And i have one question for you Majorfans out there, what is the price on a tractor in this order in your country?

Marius :)

Winchester
True Blue

Post by Winchester »

Hope you didn't do to much screwing in the garage ;) It could get cold this time a year ;)
Tom T. Winchester
-------------------------------------------------------
Little did I know that all those days passing was life itself!

Fordson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordson »

Winchester wrote:Hope you didn't do to much screwing in the garage ;) It could get cold this time a year ;)
No, i have a workshop where i do the screwing, it's a bit to cold for me in the garage... :P

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Good answer Fordson :clap: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
See ya
Mark

Winchester
True Blue

Post by Winchester »

Hahahahahaha :clap:
Tom T. Winchester
-------------------------------------------------------
Little did I know that all those days passing was life itself!

Fordson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Fordson »

After a in the workshop the Major is put together, almost... I have put back the diff, hydraulicpump and the rest back there, except the brakes and the hydraulictop. Now i have to focus on the braces and the hydraulic issue.

Have a good weekend! :buddies: