Repair my Petrol Major or go Diesel?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Ozenigma
Not Quite Blue Yet

Repair my Petrol Major or go Diesel?

Post by Ozenigma »

Hi Guys,
I have been using a Petrol/Kero Major on my small acreage block for about 10 years and would like to continue the experience. However, the motor recently decided to run on 3 cylinders. Cause: one seized exhaust valve and bent push rod.
Worse still, it also appeared to be rock and roll time in the bores so I offed the sump and found pistons ( possibly the 1950s originals) in horrendous condition.
At end of day, I will need a complete overhaul kit including pistons and liners etc , but all the new parts on offer seem to be for diesel motors.
Have you any suggestions re parts. ?
I would prefer to keep the tractor original, but as a last resort, would a diesel motor drop in without too much hassle?
Cheers Gary

Kim
True Blue

Re: Repair my Petrol Major or go Diesel?

Post by Kim »

I would keep it original as it is much rarer than a diesel. A good engine rebuild shop should be able to fix you up with pistons, liners, etc. pretty readily.
Never give up!

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Gary,

Try Allen on 0432 060 485. BUSS HRS 8-4 (BRISBANE AUTO EXCESS) I have bought a set of oversized pistons for my Perkins P6 off him recently and he was good to deal with. He deals with a lot of old stuff so he may have the parts you need.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

E45NP6
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by E45NP6 »

Frank were these pistons you purchased cast alloy or cast iron?
really interested in knowing actually, would be good to have a set spare.

Cast alloy pistons give the engine a different tune, and i like the one my P6 has at the moment. :D

E45NP6
1950 Fordson E27N Perkins P6, 1952 Fordson E1ADKN.

Ozenigma
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Ozenigma »

Thanks for the advice Frank, will call Allen .
Cheers Gary

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

A lot of the engine parts on the petrol/kerosene engine were the same as the diesel, liners and bearings are all the same, gaskets again are the same apart from the manifold gaskets. The really odd ball was the petrol version with different bore size.

Problems with the petrol/kerosene are mainly with the manifold/vaporiser which suffers with internal stress fractures due to the high temperatures involved.

If you decide to change, a diesel motor will drop straight in with very few small changes.

Check out "Henrietta Overhaul" on the Wiki from the Home Page, may be of interest. :D

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/wiki/ ... ePage.html

Code to get in = "fordsontractorpages" and "dotty".
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Ozenigma
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Ozenigma »

Brian wrote:Problems with the petrol/kerosene are mainly with the manifold/vaporiser which suffers with internal stress fractures due to the high temperatures involved...Check out "Henrietta Overhaul" on the Wiki from the Home Page, may be of interest. :D
".
Enjoyed the Wiki page Brian, thanks :D
Interesting that you mention the high temps. It appears that the #2 pot exhaust valve has warped. The guide is ok.
The overhaul was informative, esp. that the whole chassis front is removed. Helpful, at this stage I have only removed the radius arm so that I can remove the sump.
You are lucky re the pistons...I have a photo of one of my white-anted pistons. Unfortunatly cant attach it to this post.
Cheers Gary

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I have one new inlet and one new exhaust valve, ex dealer stock, in my spares. Afraid that is where they are staying in-case I need them myself, in the future. :D

Do not know whether Barry M of the Fordson Club of Australia has any in his "HUGE" stock of parts. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Ozenigma
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Ozenigma »

Brian, From now on I will be hording my spares too :wink:
So far, I havent caught up with Barry or Allen. It is summer down here and most hardworking Ozzies are at the beach until next Monday....End of Xmas.
While I have worked on plenty of pre and post war cars over the years, this is new territory for me; so Im obliged to you all for the heads-up on Fordson.
The other factor is the cost of a major rebuild. At present, the value of the Oz $ is huge, while the Euro / pound is almost in the same condition as the afore mentioned piston....white-anted and terminal. So if I can buy parts in Europe it will help to ease the pain.
Will keep you posted, Regards G.
Cheers Gary