Auxillary hydraulics

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Daves rusty bits
True Blue

Auxillary hydraulics

Post by Daves rusty bits »

I`ve finally got a log splitter for my Power Major and fitted it this week. I`ve taken the feed from the plug under the RH side of the seat and returned through the filler. The problem is the splitter won`t work unless the hydraulic lever is held up in the lift position, then everything is fine.
I`ve noticed the lever and the quadrant have a hole through in the fully lifted position, is it ok to put a pin through and keep the lever up while I use the splitter? I wasn`t sure about leaving it pumping continuously? Thanks for any advice
1960 Power Major, 1975 International 475 - well no ones perfect.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Auxillary hydraulics

Post by Brian »

It will be perfectly OK that is how they were supposed to work. The only problem will be if you blow off the PR Valve, then you will have to unpin the lever, lower it then bring it back up and pin it.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Auxillary hydraulics

Post by henk »

On the right side of the cover of my major, there's a plug that gives constant pressure I think.
But then you will have to have some PR Valve somewhere else in the system.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I