Starter Wheel Weights

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Matt 1944 N
True Blue

Starter Wheel Weights

Post by Matt 1944 N »

I have got some Major wheel weights which I intend putting on my P6 E27N and then I noticed that there are different types of starter weights and wondered if anyone had come across these before and knew if they were an early or late option below is a picture showing a standard weight, a normal starter weight and the odd one rested in place

1945 Ransomes MG2, 1950 P6 E27N, 1963 NP Super Major

Roadless63
True Blue

Re: Starter Wheel Weights

Post by Roadless63 »

I have to say I've never seen any like this before and I've seen a lot of major wheel weights (think there's around 50 or 60 sat in my field!) I have had them with a large and small ENFO script, E27N script, and 2 types of FOMOCO script and sometimes nothing at all, but always the more usual starter weight followed by the outer weights.
Nuffields used a different style of weight which used just the 5 holes, I wonder if yours have been done by an aftermarket supplier to compliment either type? Does it have any script/numbers on it? Strange how it has the back of the weight machined for clearance but also has the inner set of holes.
See something new every day!

Matt 1944 N
True Blue

Post by Matt 1944 N »

Thanks Roadless 63, I cant find any markings in them
Do you know if there were ever any cast with Fordson on or just the E27N part number (E27N1076)

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Matt 1944 N wrote:Thanks Roadless 63, I cant find any markings in them
Do you know if there were ever any cast with Fordson on or just the E27N part number (E27N1076)
I have a few sets laying around here in Canada for E27n and Majors When it warms up for a few days i'll take a look and see what i have out the back of the shop that E27N number seems familiar. Its gonna be - 41oc with wind chill for a couple of days and hopefully it doesn't snow to much more so it may be the weekend before I can look :wink:
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

I have seen some with just the E27N part number but I always wonder whether the ENFO script has disappeared through rusting. The large script ENFO is often hard to spot, the smaller ENFO is usually deeper and easier to see. The FOMOCO is raised, quite rare to find, I have seen it in both an oval and square format.
Dont recall "fordson" being cast in anywhere, always fomoco or ENFO or the plain E27N part number.
Regards

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,

Thanks to a great hint from Henk, I bought a set of wheel weights: 2 starter weights and 5 weights. :clap: :clap:
I am going to pick them up next saturday.
The are a bit rusty, so I will clean and paint them first before mounting.

Thinking about the mounting, does anybody have any hints?
I heard they used to use square plates to prevent the bolt from turning when tightening the nut.
See pictures below:

Pictures are taken from eBay a while ago

I guess the plate will come in the sleeves on the back of the wheel weight? :scratchhead:

Does anybody knows where to buys these plates? Imitation plates will do fine too.
If they are not for sale, I will have to make them. Who knows the exact measures of the plates and bolts?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Matt 1944 N
True Blue

Post by Matt 1944 N »

I have just sold my weights at patrick edwards spares day and have just seen them on ebay and now know that they are super 6 weights http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-TRACT ... 1c2bea680b

I think that the plates are avaliable from John Bownes http://www.roadless.co.uk/