Rear wheels.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Rear wheels.

Post by Brian »

Chaps,

A word of warning. Henk has Super wheels on his FMD. I had a set of Major wheel discs that came with my Super Major. I gave these to Henk and took them to him when we collected Oscars Dexta for Barry.

Henk has now cleaned and made a beautiful job of painting them for his tractor but....... They do not fit!!! :cry:

It seems Ford supplied two types of rear wheel for the Major, there is a difference in the number of holes retaining the rim. There is an 8 hole one for normal work and a 10 hole one for heavy duty operations. I have never come across this before. Henk now has a set of beautiful 10 hole wheel discs and I am extremely embarrassed :oops:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Nothing to be a shamed off Brian,

I've send you a mail with my sollution.

Anyone in need for a pair of 10 hole wheel discs?

I had this picture on my computer all the time and never notice the 10 hole discs
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

henk

Post by henk »

Today I drilled extra holes in them and they fit nice. So problem salved.

Emiel his E27N has 10 hole discs. I checked a picture of Meddo. Could it be that these models were fitted standard with them?
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello,

May be I can shine a little light on this issue.

Our E27N has rear wheels from a 1945/1946 tractor. These rims have 10 lugs and ten holes to the centre. These rims are only used in 1945/1946 on the E27N Major, which were then fitted with 9x36 rear tyres.

After that early period, a tyre change was performed by Ford, tractors were fitted with 11x36 rear wheels and therefore the rims had to be wider. Also the design of the centres was changed, they saved to drill two holes, and fitted 8 instead of 10 lugs into the rims.

We fitted 12.4/11-36 rear wheels on these rims. The rim is in fact not wide enough for this tyre, and that can be seen on some pictures I think, and othwerwise in reel here in our workshop in September, for those who want to visit us when they go to Meddo.

I think it can be possible that Brian's super was fitted with the early type E27N rear wheels.

ps: I'm preparing a proper set 8 lug, wide rims for the E27N at this moment.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Emiel,
The book says the 10 hole wheels were used for heavy duty work from 1952 to the end of production Pt.No E27N 1017A. The 8 stud one is E27N 1017B. Some of the tractors had dual wheels as an extra and the 10 stud wheels were recommended when these were fitted.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian