New Major with Tricycle Front End

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

New Major with Tricycle Front End

Post by BarryM »

David (in Wales),

I am not sure about the 49+1 rumour on the Roadless Tricycle Conversion. These were available in Australia and in June 1959 they added 47Pound to the cost of a New Power Major. I also have an Australian sales brochure (undated, but probably 1957) that shows the four models that were available at that time. No. 1 The Farm Model. No.2 The Row Crop Model, that could also be had as a Tricycle. No.3 The Wheatland Model. No.4 Super Model.

I know of 4 Tricycles in Australia and one of our Fordson Tractor Club Members owns one. He has also purchased parts from New Zealand, so they must have went there as well.
BarryM

David in Wales
True Blue

Post by David in Wales »

The 49+1 rumor has been banded around over here for many years. When Stuart Gibbard did his research and published his Roadless Traction book, he published that number.
Not sure where or even if the Roadless stock books from that era are still in existance. Can anyone throw any more information into the topic?
David

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Was Roadless the only one that made tricycle fronts for Majors? It seems like you see a lot of pictures of them on the internet and in books, for there to only have been 50 of them ever made. I saw one for sale, somewhere, a couple of years ago. I would have tried to buy it, if I'd known it was that rare.

Salvador
Not Quite Blue Yet

Major tricycle

Post by Salvador »

:D :D Hi all.
About two months ago I bought a 1954 Fordson Major Tricycle that I saw in this pages last May when tmac and Henk had a chat about it on April 2,2008. So,I went to Texas in the USA, got it and hauled it 1500 Km. down to Mexico and I am on my way to restore it. She ( I´ve been told by Brian Tractors are females in english) is in a pretty good condition. First I am going to change the rear axle oil seals because there is a litlle leak. Regards to all
Salvador

henk

Post by henk »

Congratulations Salvador,

Please send us some pictures.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

INDIANAMARK
Not Quite Blue Yet

Tricycle front end

Post by INDIANAMARK »

My 1958 FMD is a tricycle. Is this rare? The front wheel go back and forth at faster speeds. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to tighten the gears in the front end.[/quote]
INDIANA MARK

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello Mark,

That is extremely rare. Really.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964