Super major hydraulic issues

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
will c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super major hydraulic issues

Post by will c »

Hello all,

I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

I bought an October 62 super major last year as a non runner and have spent the last year getting it running; now with a rebuilt engine she is running sweet as a nut.

So now my attention had led on to the hydraulics, when in position control, the quadrant leaver will only move about half an inch and no higher, this causes the lift arms to rise to the fully raised position then once the leaver is let go, it does not hold its position and immediately springs down causing the lift arms lower again.

When in draft control the quadrant leaver once again only travels half an inch or so and then springs down when released.

Could it be that the internal linkage is bent or the Hydraulic Lift Settings need adjustment or does it sound like more than that?

Any advice and ideas are greatly received
Thanks in advance

Will
1962 Super major
1960 4wd dexta (home built)
1963 Super dexta

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Super major hydraulic issues

Post by Brian »

Hi Will,
You sound as if your linkage is seized so you will need to take the top off. Once you get inside you should be able to see the problem.

Your quadrant lever should be held in place by a friction disc so that it does not dmove but I suspect the seized linkage is pushing it around.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

will c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by will c »

Thanks Brian

I thought it may be along those lines, I will take the top off next weekend and have a look!
1962 Super major
1963 Super dexta

will c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by will c »

I took the lid off over the weekend and found that the linkage was indeed seized, I freed it up and adjusted the settings, now it works a treat! :D

Thank you Brian for your advice it was much appreciated.
1962 Super major
1963 Super dexta