cam shaft-lift pump

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mark white
Not Quite Blue Yet

cam shaft-lift pump

Post by mark white »

Hi

Do all the cam shafts in the majors have the cam to operate the lift pump on the block :?:
My lift pump that is driven off the injection pump is a bit sick, and if I can't get a replacement, I ,may have to modify the fuel pipes and mount a new one on the block.
MARK WHITE, WESTBURY

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Mark,
All Major engines have cam shaft operated lift pumps. The lift pump on the pump is an industrial unit but even then the lobe should be on the cam shaft.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

mark white
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mark white »

Thanks Brian,

I will try to repair the pump mounted one first, the thread is not very good where the screw goes in and it is spitting fuel out the hole in the base.

if I can't repair, there are plenty of the block mounted ones for sale.
I have seen other pump mounted ones for sale, but believe they are for the minimec pump. They are listed as super major after '61.

Mark
MARK WHITE, WESTBURY

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

This is nearly off topic, but the six cilinder (590 E) engine has the mounting hole for the pump on the block but the lobe is missing on the camshaft so the pump will not work on a six if fitted.