Unload valve seal

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Andyraines
Not Quite Blue Yet

Unload valve seal

Post by Andyraines »

Hello all,

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on one of these? It's for a 1961 super major. Phoned my local CNH dealer (T H White Frome) who were unable to help and completely lost by the request.

Are they still made/ available?

Thanks

Andy
Super Major restoration- project #1!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Unload valve seal

Post by Brian »

What do you mean by seal? Is it the "O" ring or the metal piston ring type. Should be the same as the '000nd series tractors.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

The unloadingvalve works better without the O-ring. I've removed it from my own Super Major years ago and it has worked perfectly ever since.

cwayne
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cwayne »

I also chose to leave the o-ring off. When I pulled the valve apart there was no o ring . I was able to purchase a new one from a New Holand-Ford dealer,but after reading Brians instructions in wiki I decided to leave it off,the o ring caused noticeable drag. I am sure without the wiki instructions I would have used the o ring and had a unsatisfactory outcome .
I did this same job on the Ford 600 several months prior to reading the wiki. The ITTmanual only says to replace the oring so I replaced . It had a little drag, at that time I thought it was good. However now it does not seem to unload in the top portion of the control lever. It continues to make a hydraulic noise and slightly loads the engine in the upper 1 1/2 inch of the control lever positions . Any thoughts on this problem with the Ford will be appreciated, thanks .
Wayne in Virginia USA
1953/57 Major/wheels of a fortune
1963 Super Major (Ford 5000)
1955 Ford 600