I found a hole!

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
halloween
True Blue

I found a hole!

Post by halloween »

Hi,

while rummaging around under the tractor today, I noticed what I can only describe as a hole in the vicinity of the arrow in this picture on the right hand side of the engine below the chassis bar...

It looks around 1 1/2" in diameter with a smaller 1/4"ish hole next to it. Through the hole I could see what I assume to be the teeth on the ring gear?

I assume that this hole should be covered in some fashion??? And what would be the purpose of it???

Thanks
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

Grani
True Blue

Re: I found a hole!

Post by Grani »

Yes there should be a cover on the hole with a screw holding it in the small hole. The hole is for showing the timingmarks on the flywheel.
The first picture shows the cover when it´s closed and the next when it´s open . However the position of the cover on the picture is not the original. I had to move it on the engine in my boat because it was out of reach in the bilge.

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

Thanks for that Grani, it looks a similar hole arrangement, but this one seems to open onto the toothed circumference of the ring gear. Can't see any marks.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

halloween wrote:Thanks for that Grani, it looks a similar hole arrangement, but this one seems to open onto the toothed circumference of the ring gear. Can't see any marks.
It´s there alright, you just have to turn the flywheel around to see the timingmarks. In some cases there is only one mark and it can be hard to see. The later is with many different degreemarks. The toothed ring gear is for the starter and has nothing to do with the hole.

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

This is the hole in question...