engine on ebay

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
essex pete
True Blue

engine on ebay

Post by essex pete »

No telling what this is like but if someone wants a little more poke but without the 6cyl length...........
I fitted one years ago to our Major based loader.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fordson-major ... 4ab56f149a

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: engine on ebay

Post by Brian »

2701 or 2711, would be a simple change. I always thought that was where Ford went wrong in 1964 and this was the engine that should have gone in the 5000.

We had one at college when I was teaching there and I tried to get the engineering staff to fit it in a Major, I would even have bought it but they would not sell, just left it lying in the store. :cry:

Lovely engine!
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Guys
I'm just taking one of these out of a major tomorrow and putting a standard motor back in. Its a horrible thing as a conversion in a major due to the fact that the standard major oil pan wont fit on it. The oil pump is in a different place and would need a lot of modification to work.
Also the oil pan and block for it is like the later 6 cyl ones so you need to do the same modifications to the wishbone, front motor mounts, Rear bell housing, bottom rad hose on wrong side, Fans not up the middle of motor so had to use a short blade major one for shroud clearance, fit the major oil filter, And I had to cut the oil pan front and get it alloy welded to get the steering track rod to clear in the factory location.
Basically the only things i didnt touch was the hood, steering drag link and frame rails as its the same length as the major motor :) .
The tractor had about 80 hp and pulled like a train but I now want to sell the tractor and everybody in Canada is scared off as it is not the original fordson motor in it, and also parts are hard to find for it here too :( .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

I can see it would compromise originality. It was differnt in the old Weatherill shovel because the machine has its own chassis. I cut the Fordson rails and basically the engine hangs on the bell housing. I always intended to rig up some form of front of engine mounts but it was used 14 years like that! Some folks have made a nice job of 6cyl conversions by dog legging the chassis rails to miss the filter etc and by makin a wishbone linked to the chassis rails. The forward wishbones on some conversions do not look as neat IMHO.

Incidently Brian why do you think Ford chose to run two types of engine with similar outputs alongside each other? I suppose the 000 series had a remit of losing the chassis? One would have thought they could have beefed up the block of the 27 series and added a heavy duty sump?

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

In production, things that seem practical to us wrench pullers are not in line with the bean counters up stairs. They cut everywhere they think they can save a penny, or a pence. They also tell the engineers to, "make it so." Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

IMHO Ford US were intent on splitting up the business and selling off the tractor division. Once the US designed '000nd series came out the Industrial Engine and its development was no longer associated with tractors.

We could not buy Industrial Spares from Ford even though we were a Main Dealer in cars, lorries and tractors with 5 depots.

We had to buy all our Industrial Parts from Manns of Saxham who were, at that time Fiat, Leyland and Claas dealers. It seemed that the car, truck, tractor and industrial division all became separate companies with no interchange of development or ideas.

The '000nd Series engine was not offered as a unit for other applications as the Major engine had been and so that market was lost. The industrial side did not seem to have the agricultural contacts and so sales were lost there too.

Manufacturers looked for other engines and the slack was taken up by Perkins and Deutz. Ford even had a Cargo with a Deutz air cooled engine at one time.

It was a sad time watching the dismantling of a once proud organisation, think it was one of the reasons that I finally left the dealership. It was sad to see all the development side closed down, the staff on the tractor division were not happy. I had long talks with one gentleman who was firmly against Ford bringing in the Japanese small tractors when all the work on a small British Ford built tractor was done. As has been proved, there was a market for a tractor, smaller than the 2000/3000 and Ford missed that market.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Sad to say, but even our local dealers over here would be out of business if they had to rely solely on the ag business alone. Home owner stuff like lawnmowers, chainsaws, and compact 4WD tractors are a large part of their business and keep the doors open. Also contracts to supply equipment to the goverment. Our local Case IH dealer was just showing me a tractor that was ordered for one of the large airports just to remove snow from the runway in the winter. A tracked type Ag tractor. 550 HP Case IH Steiger. Had to be painted highway yellow because of federal codes. Final price was around $730,000 US. :shock: No real farmers around here could afford that. Only the gooberment. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major