Fitting a rear fork lift to a new major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
nashby
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fitting a rear fork lift to a new major

Post by nashby »

Hi all, so i have a new major with just the rear linkage and the trailer hydraulics, i have fitted a rear forklift on the link arms, all i need is flow and return for the forklift as it has its own control valve, i have made an a frame to stop the link arms lifting so i can use the forklift, it all works but the tractor hydraulics click out when i try to lift anything heavy, i was hoping to move packs of bricks around but it wont even lift 1 tonne, the oil in the back end is a bit milky but what should the hydraulics lift? any advice greatly appreciated

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Fitting a rear fork lift to a new major

Post by Dandy Dave »

I think you are asking a lot of it to lift a tonne from the rear. The milky oil means it has water in it and should be changed. It is all in the way the fork lift is rated against the hydraulic pump. Does the forklift have narrow high pressure cylinders, or wide low pressure cylinders? Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You also need to know the hydraulic pressure that the lift blows off at. If it is blowing at below 2200 psi you may need to shim the unload valve.

You may also find that your forklift control is designed for tractors using universal oil rather than the 90W you may have in your tractor. This too can cause the unload valve to lift as it tries to get heavy oil through restricted ports.

A pressure gauge on the system is your first job.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
I'm Wondering if your lift linkage on the tractor will be able to support the weight on the forklift with a ton on .
I worked in a blacksmiths and he had a forklift on a major 3Pt and it sheared the pins one day and near killed him when it all collapsed back on the tractor :!: .
The top arms are not that strong around the pin holes, the pins are tiny on the tops too and drop arms seem to break on the threads from my experience over the years .
These things can be a danger on a tractor with no roll bar or cab to due to failure and falling objects .
I have seen a few of these lifts that have wheels fitted to carry some of the weight to take some of the strain off the tractor so I'm really hoping that you have this type :)
Sorry to be a saftey bore on this post but having seen a near miss up close I feel its worth saying :wink: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

nashby wrote:Hi all, so i have a new major with just the rear linkage and the trailer hydraulics, i have fitted a rear forklift on the link arms, all i need is flow and return for the forklift as it has its own control valve, i have made an a frame to stop the link arms lifting so I can use the forklift, it all works but the tractor hydraulics click out when i try to lift anything heavy, i was hoping to move packs of bricks around but it wont even lift 1 tonne, the oil in the back end is a bit milky but what should the hydraulics lift? any advice greatly appreciated
I have a fork on the back of my power major and it works alright, but I am using a auxillary hydraulics that bolt on to the front of the normal spool valve.
I have the weight of the fork and the weight of the lift on the normal hydraulics, and agree without a ROPS frame it is scary, but I have two lifts the normal hydraulic and the centre mast type ram lift.
This is all double acting hydraulics, both lift and tilt. Biggest problem I have had is breaking levelling boxes.
My fork will lift just about anything however the front wheels end up about 4 foot in the air and it is impossible to steer.
Does your fork have a single lift ram with chains relaying the lift?

My normal hydraulics don't hold much weight either however with the auxillary hydraulics the blow off pressure must be very high and this doesn't give up.
I would have thought you would have tapped into the main hydraulic line under your seat, to work your remote control valve you need to somehow bypass the normal spool as they do blow off at relatively low pressures for fork lift work, you may have to do some work on the unloader valves which are covered somewhere on this site too.
The remote spools also have blow off valves often also.

I also have another fork I will be setting up soon and it only has a single acting lift ram but it still uses chains to lift the forks, this fork I will have to set up differently and the top tilt ram is mounted higher, the bottom TPL arms only hold it in position and do no lifting becaues these are braced so the weight in not carried on the usual lift arms.

I also suggest you tighten the ring of bolts that hold both axle tubes onto the central diff housings as they come loose and leak, a word of warning the axle tubes are cast iron and will break under some high load conditions, though I have never seen it myself.

Mike

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello Mike here again,
I have now fitted the commercially manufactured rear fork now, it is quite a few years old and uses the single acting main lift ram, the shaft of this is quite large compared with my home made one.

I have it all working but a few leaks to fix, ( rust preventative ) I haven't tried to lift anything heavier than a Fordson rear wheel weight, it lifts this alright whith no signs of struggling.

I have it working with single action for the main lift and double acting for the tilt, it is better using the two levers now and not having to use the change over valve when switching between the two.

I can't see what your problem might be?

Mike