Now this is rare

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
essex pete
True Blue

Now this is rare

Post by essex pete »

Posted from CMN, perhaps the skid is not original to machine?

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Now this is rare

Post by Dandy Dave »

It must be rare because I've never seen one. I'm not really even sure what it is? Looks like a piece of road building equipment for laying concrete or used in a stone quarry??? I hope it gets saved as it is unique. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

I will let others have guess first about what it is although the make is unknown as yet.

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

I reckon its something to do with railway building? Although im probably wrong :oops:
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

It would seem that it is an early backhoe/excavator. The boom/dipper being rope operated. The operator sits to one side and the machin jacks up on the big plate underneathe for slewing, that appear to be hydraulic action. The consensus on CMN was that it might not be the original skid.

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Well it sure looks impressive, are you going to restore it pete?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

essex pete wrote:It would seem that it is an early backhoe/excavator. The boom/dipper being rope operated. The operator sits to one side and the machin jacks up on the big plate underneathe for slewing, that appear to be hydraulic action. The consensus on CMN was that it might not be the original skid.
You could be right. I did not think so at first because I did not see a way for it to swing. I could be that it swings on the round stand underneath and the whole machine turns after the wheels are lifted like you said. It is hard to tell. More pictures from different angles would be better. At first I thought the boom was a conveyor with a belt. Maybe just the way the light is reflected in the photo. Construction equipment was often repowered as the early engines wore out. I've never seen one like it. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major