oil pressure, or lack of

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

oil pressure, or lack of

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Guys
I think I already know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway. :oops:

Is there any way of priming the Super Major oil pump without removing the sump, and pump etc

I did oil the pump when I fitted it back into the block, but didn't get around to filling the sump with oil until tonight (about 3 months later). The engine is still sitting in my test bed, so no big deal if I need to drop the sump. :cry:

Heres hoping.
Kiwi Kev

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Kev,
I have never primed an oil pump in any engine that I have ever overhauled. They will pick up without any problem. As long as you greased/oiled the crank on assembly there will be no problem. However if you are unsure, take the oil pressure switch out and pump oil into the gallery. That should fill things. Also fill the oil filter.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Brian
Thanks for your reply.
I have taken out the oil pressure guage connection from the block, and fitted a male hose tail, a peice of hose, tied it all vertically to the exhaust manifold, stuck a funnel in the end and fillled it with oil, and let gravity do the rest, a quick crank of the engine, another funnel of oil, and I had oil pressure. About 50-60 PSI at cranking speed. I'm pretty happy with that. :D
Certainally saved me an hours work by not taking the sump off, not to mention messy. Just goes to show the value of asking questions.
Thanks
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!