Bonnet latch rivets

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Nick
True Blue

Bonnet latch rivets

Post by Nick »

I am in the process of stripping a major bonnet down, i had to take the latches off as they are rusted out. I ground the head of the rivets off to get them out, but how have you guys re-attached them?
Also i have a leaking front crank seal, what are they like to replace?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Pavel
True Blue

Re: Bonnet latch rivets

Post by Pavel »

I pop riveted mine back on some years ago. Still OK.
Pavel

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

This is what I used. I made the dimple in the anvil with a bull nose end mill, and the shallow hole in the punch with a regular end mill to give the inside rivet head the “squared off” appearance of the originals, you may note that the end of my punch is rather distorted from using it to push rusted bolts out with the air gun. You may want to do a few trial pieces with some scrap metal to get the hang of it.

Pat

August
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by August »

BearCreek Majors wrote:This is what I used. I made the dimple in the anvil with a bull nose end mill, and the shallow hole in the punch with a regular end mill to give the inside rivet head the “squared off” appearance of the originals, you may note that the end of my punch is rather distorted from using it to push rusted bolts out with the air gun. You may want to do a few trial pieces with some scrap metal to get the hang of it.

Pat

That is a good way to do it. The solid rivet is better than pop one. I had similar tools when I changed the bonnet latches. I also heated up the rivet red before riveting.
Fordson Super Major, 1963
Ford Consul, 1960

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Thanks for the reply robert, i agree, thats a very good way to do it so it looks original. So when youve got that shape, how do you rivet it? Ive only ever pop rivetted before :oops:
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Nick wrote:Thanks for the reply robert, i agree, thats a very good way to do it so it looks original. So when youve got that shape, how do you rivet it? Ive only ever pop rivetted before :oops:
Nick, did you rivet on your new latches?

Did the rivet holes line up OK on the new latches?

Think I may need to fit new latches as the springs are kaput, so they tend to keep popping undone.

TIA
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Hi ben, in the end I cheated and used M5 nuts and bolts, i did have to drill them out a bit with a 5mm drill, but they did line up with the holes on the new latches. What i did once the bolts were done up FT, was to use a die grinder, and grind the heads of the bolts round so they look like rivets! I then put a tiny spot weld on the nut and shank of the bolt inside the bonnet so it wouldnt come undone - it worked a treat!

Ive done this on two major bonnets and my dexta one aswell, and they are all working very well and havent come loose. Although I have a long way to go to completing all of them! Hope ive been of some help.......... :D

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Nick wrote:What i did once the bolts were done up FT, was to use a die grinder, and grind the heads of the bolts round so they look like rivets! I then put a tiny spot weld on the nut and shank of the bolt inside the bonnet so it wouldnt come undone - it worked a treat!
Crafty! :D

Grinding the heads on the outside without marking the bonnet must have been tricky - cider not recommended!!
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

No it wasnt! Actually now i think about it, i think it did some of the grinding on a bench grinder before I installed them in the bonnet - just enough to get a spanner on them to tighten them, and then finished them with a die grinder when on the bonnet which as you say isnt easy but you can be quite accurate with a die grinder