Paint again

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Paint again

Post by Dietmar »

Right now I am painting the Power Major. The Tractor was completely stripped with chemicals and all brackets removed.
I used the HVLP spay system which worked out very well so far. No covering of the garage door or other stuff was required - almost no overspray.

This issue was addressed many time in the old forum but I like to verify the colours:
Tractor all Empire Blue - could not get it in Austria - used Fordson Blue
Grills grey
Dash blue - was orange/red as wheels and grills
Oil filler plugs, oil level sticks, starter handle tip and handbrake lever grip = red

does this make sense?

Best regards from Austria

Dietmar

BTW:
1 1/2 weeks to go until the 5. World Championship 24 Hours of Reingers www.traktorrennen.at
My wife and her sister will race a Valmet 565 Sync Year 1965 which is making 40km/h +
Lets see if they win the ladies ranking the 3rd year

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello Dietmar,

According to my information is the whole tractor, also everything blue.

Except:
rims - orange
Grills - silver
tyres - uncoated
Ligth lenses - uncoated
instruments rims = uncoated

In the factory all was painted blue, including filters and v-belts. The wheels were not fitted when the tractors were sprayed I,m told.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

David in Wales
True Blue

Post by David in Wales »

Here is my KFD68 Major to show the colour of Empire Blue.
You should be able to find some original colour blue thats has not faded inside the steering hole through the diesel tank, or inside the headlights, or inside the control panel/instrument cluster.

I painted the wheels with Howard Rotovator orange which you should get in Australia! The photo shows the orange as a deep orange colour, will fade in time.

(note Diesel Majors had blue grills, your Power should be silver grills.
David

Christian
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Christian »

Hi Dietmar

I'm also from Austria (near Melk NÖ).
You will definetively get the Empire blue at your local New Holland dealer.
But he has to order it and it will take some time it will be delivered.
On Stefan's Dexta website you will find a brochure with the right ordering numbers (http://www.fordson-dexta.de/downloads/b ... artnew.pdf)
The grills of my Power Major were almost surely silver. There is a rest of the original silver existing.
Attention! There are 2 different Howard orange.
You will find a explanation on Stefan's Dexta website. (http://www.fordson-dexta.de/50125593f71 ... index.html)
I think the wheel colour of the Dexta should be the same like the colour of the Major.

Regards
Christian

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

Thank you very much for the information

best regards

Dietmar

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Two different Blue?

Post by Dietmar »

I stripped my 1954 Major and purchased a 1956 Model.
In many hidden areas I could find the original paint.They match.

The 1960 Power Major (paint samples from other Tractors match as well) has a more darker blue.

How is that?

Best regards

Dietmar

lwright
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lwright »

I need to order some paint for my Power Major.
I'm going keep everything blue on mine, just can't paint those wheels orange.

Just curious if I can find the paint locally at a NAPA store?
Anyone have the US paint code or number?
The page that was posted was in Dutch, having trouble reading it.
I know I can order if from bareco if I can't find it any where else.
I hope I can find it locally.

Larry

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Larry, tractor supply company carries fordson blue ...usually in stock at the store, or they can order it......Their paint is a Valspar brand enamel and runs $25 - $30 a gallon......in my opinion it makes a pretty good paint job on farm equipment if you also use the hardener they sell. I believe they have a store in Shelby, not too far from Cherryville. ( I live near York ..get to Shelby occasionally) .....

A bit off subject but I wanted to mention the wonderful truck museum in Cherryville.....I try to stop in there every couple of years and look around.....well worth a visit for anyone when they are in the area.
Jack

lwright
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lwright »

Thanks Jack!
I have been to that store a couple times... I'll call them today and see if they have it.
I help out the truck museum from time to time taking photos and videos for them.
I did professional photography for 12 yrs.
That's a great place to visit, hollar at me next time your up and I'll buy ya a burger at the shakeshop.
Maybe you can give me some advice on my ol tractor.

Thanks,
Larry
commander wrote:Larry, tractor supply company carries fordson blue ...usually in stock at the store, or they can order it......Their paint is a Valspar brand enamel and runs $25 - $30 a gallon......in my opinion it makes a pretty good paint job on farm equipment if you also use the hardener they sell. I believe they have a store in Shelby, not too far from Cherryville. ( I live near York ..get to Shelby occasionally) .....

A bit off subject but I wanted to mention the wonderful truck museum in Cherryville.....I try to stop in there every couple of years and look around.....well worth a visit for anyone when they are in the area.

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

The issue is not ordering the right paint.
It is that I discovered 2 different kind of original bluish colour.
The older (paintposter 59) one is more lighter than the later (paintposter 49) paint.
http://www.fordson-dexta.de/downloads/paintposter.pdf

This is proofed, as 4 Tractors had been checked in areas which would not be touched with respray.

The 2 older match exactly as the newer ones as well.

BTW: I use the colour sample to get it exactly mixed.
I had the Power Major 1960 painted and found out that I used the lighter bluish. I had repainted it completely to the darker colour.

Now I do the 1954 and I like to get it right. This would be lighter colour now.

Am I completely wrong? Was there realy one blue only?

Best regards

Dietmar

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello Dietmar,

When all information I have is correct then there are the following blue colors:
- Very dark blue, used on 1945 - 1952 E27N Major
- Fordson tractor blue, less dark blue, used 1952 - 1963 on NewMajor, PowerMajor and Supermajor
- NewPerfomance Fordson blue, a little lighter as before, used on NP Majors 1963 -1964.

The Dextas were painted in the same colours as the colours used on the Major range. So the switch to the lighter colour at the same moment.

Post 1964 Ford tractors were painted in Ford Tractor blue. Most colours are readily available through the NewHolland dealers.

You must not forget, that the paint is those day would not had have a very constant colour. The colours could slightly differ between different badges.

Good luck, sounds you are doing a great job on your tractors. Keep up the good work.

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

lwright
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lwright »

Thanks Emiel

I hope that your post answered Dietmar's question.

That info you posted seems to be right from what I am seeing.
I actually like the darker blue better but looks like my 57 power major was originally a lighter blue than what I thought.

Martin Senour Brand Paint is sold at NAPA in the US and they have the Ford Empire Blue as well...

lwright
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lwright »

commander wrote:Larry, tractor supply company carries fordson blue ...usually in stock at the store, or they can order it......Their paint is a Valspar brand enamel and runs $25 - $30 a gallon......in my opinion it makes a pretty good paint job on farm equipment if you also use the hardener they sell. I believe they have a store in Shelby, not too far from Cherryville. ( I live near York ..get to Shelby occasionally) .....
I did check with Tractor Supply today and they called their paint supplier "Valspar". They called me back and said they could only get Ford blue. :cry:
So I went to NAPA today and looked at paint there...

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

Thank you Emiel, this clarifies all to me.
The only strange thing is that on my versions there is a difference between 1954...1958 and 1959...1960 but that might be ok.
I will use the paint mixing recipe from the original samples. This is as close as I like to get it.

Best regards

Dietmar

lwright
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by lwright »

Dietmar wrote:Thank you Emiel, this clarifies all to me.
The only strange thing is that on my versions there is a difference between 1954...1958 and 1959...1960 but that might be ok.
I will use the paint mixing recipe from the original samples. This is as close as I like to get it.

Best regards

Dietmar
I'd love to see a before and after photo when your finished...