Levelling Box

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
curtsat15
True Blue

Levelling Box

Post by curtsat15 »

Hi all! This is my first post on this forum. I have been cruising around here for a few days, and love the solid info available here! I am wondering about the leveling box on my '59 Power Major. The gearbox works fine, but the fork that attaches to the lift arm is seized. Any suggestions how to get it loose? I have soaked it with penetrating oil several times in the last few weeks, and it wont budge. Also, does anyone have a diagram of it? Is the arm press fit to the fork? Would heat work? I only have a small propane torch available at the moment. Thanks!

whirly
True Blue

Re: Levelling Box

Post by whirly »

'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Welcome curtsat 15.

This is a common problem. I have made a few going a few years ago. The only thing that helped was heating with a torch and cool them fast in water. Than hammer a few times with a large hammer on an anvil or use two hammers and hit them at the same time. Then I needed a press to get them going. If you have some movement then you should use penetration oil.
It's a hard job, so keep them greasy when you have success.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

curtsat15
True Blue

Post by curtsat15 »

Thanks Henk! This is exactly what I was looking for! As I said, all I have handy is a small propane torch. Would heating it in a fire or on the Barbeque work? Just itching to get that box working as I have plowing to do to ready ground for next year. Cheers Mate! :buddies:

curtsat15
True Blue

Post by curtsat15 »

Thanks to you too Whirly!

henk

Post by henk »

I think I misunderstand you. I'm talking about the bush that in the lower part of the that is attest to the lowest arm. As I see it now you are talking about the swing part between the levelling box and the lift arm.
I did one together with Pascal. Used a hammer, penetration oil. And it's not a bad idea to use a barbeque but I think the heat is too low. It would do no harm either so you can try.
Most of all you need patience. Work on it every day for a few minutes and it will come free.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

curtsat15
True Blue

Post by curtsat15 »

Thanks Henk, that is what I meant.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi,

A few years back I had the same problem with the lift arms on my E27N. They had not moved since the 1960s. When I got the tractor back I was burning off a pile of rubbish on my few acres and I threw the arms into the fire until they glowed a dull red and then pulled them out. When they cooled down it only took a light tap and the slide was free. As far as my experience goes the heat of a fire is the cure, just don't over do it otherwise you might melt the arms.

In my case it was not only the slide but the adjusting thread as well that was locked solid. It was explaned to me as the heat and the fire had a reducing effect on the rust i.e. took the oxygen out of the rust because of the burning wood needing oxygen that tuned the rust (iron oxide) that had locked the arms and adjusting thread solid into iron powder that took up less space and allowed the arms to move again. It does take some time though, you can't expect 50 years of rust to let go in a few minutes.

If nothing else works give it a try, it worked for me.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

curtsat15
True Blue

Post by curtsat15 »

Update: SUCCESS! I built a fire in the old wood stove we don't use any more, and after about 10 rounds of heating, cooling and bashing, the threads came loose :clap: . Now I just need to get the LH arm threads to come loose. Will work on that today. Didn't even occur to me yesterday to do that one at the same time. It is seized as well at almost the highest point of it's travel. :buddies:

curtsat15
True Blue

Post by curtsat15 »

Well I did it. Got both arms free now. Also got the check chain turnbuckles loose. They were almost as tight as the lift arms! All is good to go now, Happy tractoring!