Old FSM still tops!

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
RH
True Blue

Old FSM still tops!

Post by RH »

The 1961 Super is still doing its best to imprss me, and has been successful yet again.

After doing all the rotory hay-raking that needed doing on 220 acres, I tried it with a bale-fork on the 3-point, and found it would lift them allright. (about 1100lbs or a bit more)
It "dances" a bit,...light on on front end, but has the pressed 16" rims, with a wheelweight only on one side.(!)
I have some wheel-weights so with a pair fitted it should work if needed.
Next, it's been doing some thistle and buck-brush cutting with a brush-mower, and I don't think I've ever had a better unit for this job.
The 720 rpm pto is ideal for this, just plugging along at a high idle, still enough power for the thick patches.
Also, I've been cutting thistles on slopes that none of the other tractors would ever go up (2 wheel drive) Where it's Real steep, I reversed up, and on the fast idle, the traction astounded me.
I didn't use the diff-lock, as it;s still frozen up.
It'll back up slopes that look scarey to drive back down! Still, it came back down allright, with no runaways!

Brian,
After lowering oil level in rear end, I've had no more bother with the leaking wheel-seal. You saved me a fair bit of work!

Seems that the FSM is no longer just a nice old tractor, it's a nescessity!!

Richard.

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Richard,
These old Majors are good old tractors. I couldn't restore one and then only run it in parades and tractor shows. If you don't work them, you're missing out on half the fun. I used to love to plow with my Dad's Major. Nothing else sounds like a Major with a good load, when the black smoke is just starting to roll out of the stack.

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

JC,

You're quite right about the sound, and they need some heavy work to keep them clean. Mine's got a bit of oil on the manifold from just diddling around. I'd like to find a plough for it.
It doesn't appear to have used any oil, but it needs some harder work than the brush mower or hay-rake!

all the best,

Richard.