Early major decompressor lever

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
porteous
True Blue

Early major decompressor lever

Post by porteous »

I have a recently acquired 1953 New Major Diesel, in good condition. I noticed the decompressor lever (like a bit of bent wire on mine) was loose in the head. When tightened the control is pretty much solid and I am worried about having it pointing the wrong way when starting, with consequent damage. How should it look when NOT engaged?

Many thanks.

fnoller
True Blue

Re: Early major decompressor lever

Post by fnoller »

Hi

My lever is down when not used :)
Fordson for life...

1955 Fordson Major (restorating)

1963 Fordson Super Major New Performance (New Project)

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

fnoller wrote:Hi

My lever is down when not used :)
Horizontal is probably more correct (which is down, but not pointing down)
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hello to all, hope everyone is well. You can see the round knob end on the lever in this picture on my Power Major.Image
It is closed at this position, when you open it the lever will move upward a few inches. Remember the rule, never crank with decompression lever in open position. Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

Thanks guys

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Porteous
When you say about the decompressor being like a bent wire is this located at the back right side of the head casting or at the front of the rocker cover. if it is at the back of the head you have the early type not the later as in Gmans picture .

For the early type it is not an up down lever action. it is a push pull release. My book says on this early type slacken the lock nut, pull the lever fully out to decompress, then push it all the way in and secure with the lock nut to run the motor.
you should be able to take the rocker cover off( should be 2 screws in top) Maybe check the valve clearance if you havent done it too as the arms wear on the stem contact surface or they may not of been set for years :wink: , Then look at the valves that are fully up(closed) move the lever and you should see the valves get opened about an 1/8 to a 1/4 " if it is working properly when you pull the lever out, then close when pushed in :) .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

Robert;
Very many thanks. I'd worked out it was not the later one (shown in the handbook) but your detailed explanation as to how the thing works is a god send, especially as it explains why the lever tightens up as the lock nut is tightened. It now makes perfect sense. David

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

porteous wrote:Robert;
Very many thanks. I'd worked out it was not the later one (shown in the handbook) but your detailed explanation as to how the thing works is a god send, especially as it explains why the lever tightens up as the lock nut is tightened. It now makes perfect sense. David
No problem David
I read your post the other day and thought one of the other guys would come on with the answer for the old type de compressor as I got busy with work and didn't have much spare time :cry: . I don' t like to hog the forum too much either as its not my place, and 30 pages of one guys replys to everybodys questions might not go over too well either, we all have to share :)
good luck and if you need any more help someone will get the answers you need on here im sure. It's a great place to be for info :) .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

neilarmo
True Blue

Post by neilarmo »

forgive dragging an old thread up but I'm rebuilding a '52 E1A, is the safest option to just have the decompressor present but disconnected?
The man who rebuilt my head (3 years ago) seems to have made the decision for me.
What do the pedants at the tractor shows generally say?

ah found another thread which answers things, please ignore.

neil