New Major seat rubbers

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
porteous
True Blue

New Major seat rubbers

Post by porteous »

Just finished priming my seat pan and mounting frame which clearly came from another tractor (mine has been kept under cover, and it shows, the seat bits are rusted but sound, and have obviously been outside for a while). While cleaning up I found the remains of a rubber buffer (and the hole where another should go). As I recall these were a little cone shaped job that kept your backbone from disintegrating. Does anyone know where I can get new ones in the UK? I am at an age where I need all the comfort I can get! Thanks.

halloween
True Blue

Re: New Major seat rubbers

Post by halloween »

http://www.agrilineproducts.com/partsca ... major.html

Part number 6243 is the one you need I think.
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

Sadly not, while I am pretty sure the seat is a Fordson item I don't think it's from an early Major. The seat pan is in a top frame that is linked to a bottom frame which, in turn, is fastened to the transmission casing by four bolts in two long slots.

Try here? http://www.flickr.com/photos/31231726@N ... hotostream. The two holes in the centre of the frame are where the remains of some sort of buffer was still in one, quite unlike the normal enormous rubber cone attached to the back of the seat.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

My dads 58 has the same Seat. the style 10 or 11 in this link should be real close. most any good automotive parts store should be able to get similar bumpers.

Pat

http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-in-bumpers/=hz55cs

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

Thats the same seat as I have, its the power Major one isn't it? when I got mine it had a huge rubber block bolted on through the two holes but it made the seat pan tip forward uncomfortably.

I'd love bumpers but now my seat is so far to the rear its riding on the hydraulics :(

Really needs a new frame as well so I may end up making one to suit.

Are there any aftermarket seats that would fit the four bolt PM version mountings?
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

This picture is from the '58 Major I have for parts.Image
You can see the rubber bumber on back bottom of seat.
This is the seat on my Power Major, different from the one on the Major.Image
I would need to look at both to be sure but believe they both bolt to rear end the same way, two bolts on each side.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

Brilliant Pat (BearCreekMajors) That solves the problem! Thanks.