The Super 6 is Home!

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

The Super 6 is Home!

Post by JC »

I finally found some free time to go pick it up. We got home with it yesterday morning, just after midnight.
I forgot my camera, so I don't have any pictures of loading it. The tires on the right side wouldn't roll (brakes, most likely). Fortunately, the guy that I bought it from had some nice equipment and two grown sons that were good operators. They picked it up and pushed it on the trailer with a Cat 420 backhoe and a Cat skid steer loader. They didn't put a dent or scratch in it.
Here's some pictures I took after I got it home.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is a great tractor. Of all the big ones that is my all time favorite. They only have one weakness and that is the bull pinions and bull gears in the axle. The main problem with them was the same with all the Counties with equal wheels except the TW based ones. Drivers!!! :( They woulcd wait until tghe wheels on one side were spinning before standing on the dif lock instead of thinking ahead and putting it in before they got into trouble.

I am green with envy!! That is nearly as good as a Petrol Dexta :clap:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

That looks great.!! Correct wheels and even correct pre air cleaner...fabulous.

Sandy

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

JC
Very nice.
Which one is going to get done first? The Super 6 or the 1164.
Remember, we like pictures.
Kiwi Kev
Last edited by Kiwi Kev on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

henk

Post by henk »

Wauw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

JC

Post by JC »

Brian,
I can see why its your favorite big tractor. I think its already my favorite tractor. I plan on working it some, so I'll try not to step on the diff. lock when the wheels are spinning.
Almost as good as a petrol Dexta, eh? I guess I'd better start looking for one of those. I'll tell my wife that its your fault when I drag another tractor home :lol:

Sandy,
I'm glad to hear that the wheels and pre cleaner are correct. I see a few things that aren't. I'll post a few pictures of those later. Its in pretty good shape, but it will take a lot of work to get it to look like yours.

Kev,
I think the remodeling of my house will get done first. The wife says I'll be sleeping in the dog house if it doesn't get done soon. After that, I'll start on the Super 6. The 1164 will have to wait for a while.
henk wrote:Wauw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's what I said when I saw it!

JC

Post by JC »

Here's the first one of a million questions I'll have about this tractor.

The front weight, that says Super 6 on it is missing. Does anyone have one that they're using for a paper weight or a door stop that they'd like to get rid of? :lol: The radiator cowl has some extra pieces welded on the bottom of it. Does it look like the bottom has been trimmed or is it the original size?

Are the voltage regulator and starter solenoid in the right location?

I have lots more questions, but its nightime here and I'm starting to get sleepy, so I'll post some more tomorrow.

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

cowl is ok, apart from the extra welded on bits, neither regulator or solenoid are in the right places.

Super6 weight will be hard to get.

Keep asking! Sandy.

JC

Post by JC »

Thanks Sandy. This tractor must have had something mounted on the front of it. That's why the weight is gone. The lower part of the cowl is a different color and there's odd pieces welded on in places. The previous owner said he'd give me a manual with it, but it was for a Vohl snow blower, made by Richard Piche Manufacturier from Cap-Sante, Quebec, Canada. They were based on County tractors, but 764 and 964, not Super 6. I wonder if this one had a snow blower on it at some time.

It has a front-mounted hydraulic pump, and this is where the hydraulic tank is located.

It also has a 4-spool valve under the seat.
Maybe all this extra plumbing was for a snow blower, but I'd sure hate to run one with out a cab. Brrrrrr!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

It could have been a dozer blade but she looks so good and usually they have had a hard life in an industrial type environment.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

JC

Post by JC »

None of the previous owners seem to have abused it too badly. All the tin is fairly straight. They weren't quite so careful with maintainence, though. I started to take the right drive take-off off so I can free the brake up, but I found that I can't get it off without taking the wheel off. This would not be much of a problem, exept that its still on the trailer. I should be able to get it off with my boom truck or a loader. Anyway, while I was taking it apart, I found that the pinion bearings in the drive take-off and the front drive hub are both worn out

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

It's really great that you managed to get this one. It's going to give you lots of happy hours tinkering away with it :) .

JC

Post by JC »

I like working on them almost as much as I like driving them, Oscar, so it will be fun. I still can't believe that I own a Super 6, I never thought that I'd find one.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

JC, you have found a gem. Where did you find it at? I've never seen one anywhere around here.

You can come and stay with me if you find that petrol and the wife runs you off. It's a long ways, but your welcome. By the way, bring the petrol with you. :D
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

JC

Post by JC »

Hi Mark,
A friend of mine found it for me on Craigslist. He knew I was interested in Counties, because he also found the 1164 for me. He thought that it would be a good parts tractor, but he didn't realize what he'd found. I don't think many Super 6's were sold in this country. Another friend worked for the local Ford tractor dealership in the 60's. He said they sold one Super 4 and one Super 6, and he delivered both of them. The Super 6 is still on the ranch he delivered it to, but it hasn't run for years and its not for sale. I'd like to know if there's any record of how many were sold in the US.

If I bring a petrol Dexta home, can I keep it and the Super 6, and send my wife to your house? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

If I bring a petrol Dexta home, can I keep it and the Super 6, and send my wife to your house?

The misses doesn't care for me to bring home stray animals from time to time, but to let another misses into the house I believe would be a fatal mistake for me. So, you'd better bring her dozens of roses, and start kissing up instead. :D :D :D

Why is this behemoth of a tractor called a Super 6 or a Super 4, would it be the size of the engine, 4 cyls, 6 cyls? Also it looks to like the hyd oil would be super hot with the tank that close to the engine even if it does have a oil cooler. I don't know anything about these tractors, but they sure look like they could pull down a house.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Julian in SC US
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Julian in SC US »

JC-
So when are you going to get a dump trailer for her?
See Ebay item number 320291647395 along with a few others from the same seller. or visit this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=011

I'm jealous!

JH

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

Hey Julian, that's a really cool implement - accessory.

Thanks for posting this link. :thumbs:

I've added that guy to my favourite sellers list! I may never buy anything BUT it can be a real stroll down memory lane looking at all the images of equipment & vehicles.
Got that image on file now along with a few others of Old English Ford Cars etc. Brian should take a close look at the other items too. Some great photos.

Regards,
Rick
'
Regards,
Rick

JC

Post by JC »

Mark,
My wife acts like she's mad when I bring another tractor home, but she isn't really. The kids go with me when I pick one up, and the kids and grandkids help me work on them. Its kind of a family project. A dozen roses still wouldn't be a bad idea, though!

A Super 4 is basically a Super Major that was converted to 4-wheel-drive by County. A Super 6 has a 590E engine, which is the same as a Major engine, except that it has 2 more cylinders. Its rated at 94 hp. @ 2000 rpm's. I think it was also known as a 6D and a Dagenham 330. (Someone please correct me if that's wrong.)
Last edited by JC on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JC

Post by JC »

I almost missed your post Julian. Thanks for the link. I'd like to have a trailer like that. Maybe I can find an old Euclid off-hiway dump truck. :idea: If I cut the nasty old screamin' Detroit Diesel off the front of it, I can make my own trailer. :)

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

On the picture of the engine I can se the top of a dippstick. Is it for the engine oil? In that case it is on the wrong side. On the 590 engine i have in my boat this dippstick position would be perfect, but I have, and they normally are on the other side.

JC

Post by JC »

Hi Grani
That is the engine oil dipstick you see in the picture. If it was on the other side, it would be in the right place for a Major, too. There is not even a place in the casting for one on the left side of this engine.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

The engine dirt cover is beautiful, like brown velvet. No one has touch it for decades and it´s still going strong. :thumbs:

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

I asked about the dipstick earlier and now I have a question about the oilpan. Is the oilpan of cast iron or aluminum? Is the deepest part of the oilpan at the very rear end of the engine?

sandymac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by sandymac »

the oilpan is cast aluminium. custom made by county, very wide and shallow.
Sandy