Cooling problem, Radiator cap?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
stevebeanie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Cooling problem, Radiator cap?

Post by stevebeanie »

When I use my FM for topping every weekend it keeps losing water through the overflow pipe on the radiator. I have recently purchased a new cap for it as the old one leaked. It looks different to the old cap I had but fits fine. Steve

stevebeanie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by stevebeanie »

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

you can get 2 types of cap a pressurised one with a spring inside it or a plain cap that is the same as the diesel tank cap, both will work fine.
as for water from overflow, it is engine reaching its own level, mine does it and if i refill the pint or so that has overflowed next time i work her it comes back out.

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

I had the same problem with mine, from day one.
Several people told me it was quite normal although, to me, it didn't make sense.
Some time later, during another 'investigation' (temperature gauge never registered anything significant), I found that there was no thermostat fitted.
At some time in her life, she'd been left without antifreez and it had cracked away the base of the thermostat housing on the head.
Obviously, the previous owner had taken the head off, removed the thermostat to weld up the head, and never replaced it.
Anyway, purchased a replacement thermostat, temperature gauge now worked correctly but, 'lo and behold', no longer lose any water from the overflow, no constant topping up.

Out of interest, the weld repair to the head is clearly years old, no leaks or cracks (I crack tested it) and it was arc welded !!!

Mike