Underslung exhaust system for Fordson New Majors

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
porteous
True Blue

Underslung exhaust system for Fordson New Majors

Post by porteous »

I have just ordered a new underslung exhaust system for my 53 FMDiesel (Which I suspect originally had one, since the fixing bolt for the rear bracket is still in place and the suppliers name plate on the bonnet is hidden by the currently fitted upright version.). The tractor I drove as a child had a downswept exhaust so I am very pleased to find one for my tractor.

The system is made to the original pattern by an engineering company which has produced a batch of ten. I expect delivery today or tomorrow, let me know if you would like details of the supplier.

porteous
True Blue

Re: Underslung exhaust system for Fordson New Majors

Post by porteous »

Just arrived, less than 24 hours after ordering. V heavy duty steel, really well made too.

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

I've seen some home made ones, but never the real deal. Have you got any pictures?

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

Have a look here for photos:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fordson-Major ... 6rk%3D1%26

The engineer has made 10 (He told me he made one for a customer having obtained the original drawings and worked from those, in particular replicating the internal baffles, which he said were quite complex). He has now sold 3. I offered the box of mine up to the tractor manifold last night and it fits perfectly, including the rear attachment to the frame being pretty much exactly where it should be, needing only a small bracket making up. The silencer box looks good, but has clearly been worked into shape as opposed to being a pressing, which I suspect the originals were. The whole setup is heavy gauge steel, and should certainly last well.

If you want to know more contact Martin at Cox & Martin Engineering,
Huish Farm, Yeovil Rd
Tintinhull
Yeovil
Somerset
BA22 8QL
United Kingdom

Phone: 01935|826816
Email: ian@coxnturner.freeserve.co.uk

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Looking through one of my books, I notice they fitted this system to Super Majors too. One version has a stubby tailpipe, about six inches long, with a right-angled downward pointing crank in it ie it doesn't exit out of the back of the tractor (I wonder if the driver would breathe in exhaust fumes). As I have to park my tractor under a low lean-to roof, I'm wondering if this wouldn't be a good idea for my New Performance Super. The thing is, does it have the authentic Major exhaust note? Can you let us know?

Many thanks.

Adrian

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

It will take a few days to get the paint and clamps, etc , together but I should have it done some time next week. Martin, the chap that made them, assured me they sound just right. I will let you know.Having dug around a bit there is a suggestion that nearly all early Majors were fitted with these as standard. Perhaps as they rotted away the upright option was just much cheaper? Perhaps some of the older folk on here might remember? I suspect a down-swept system would have been standard on the industrial models?

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

Looks and sounds just as I remember! toolbox added, radiator grilles now blue and underslung exhaust to original pattern.

Pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31231726@N ... hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31231726@N ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31231726@N ... otostream/

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

Sweet! :clap: :clap: :clap:
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I thought I would revive this thread because of some missing details about the two brackets and clip used in this system. Part no. E1ADKN-5259 holds the rear of the silencer on to the side channel (no pic unfortunately as we only have very non descript remains of Billy's one; made one up for Super Billy)
part no. E1ADKN-5260 holds the long pipe on to the silencer
and part no. E1ADDN-5256A (the latest one, there's one for earlier Major's, part nos. E1ADKN-5256A and E1ADKN-5256C, E1ADKN-5256B is the industrial one) holds the tail pipe on to the long pipe and also the axle casting next to the check chain bracket.
We have two silencers and the vertical section of the third one, two clips, one complete rear bracket and the remains of two more and the remains of one side channel clip (not counting my homemade one).
More pics of the silencer
Sandy
ImageImageImage

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Seem to remember that the earliest models were fitted with underslung exhausts as standard. When ploughing or undertaking any slow moving operation, with a tail wind, the fumes blew back and led to drivers getting bad headaches,. Took some time to realise what the cause was.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Know all about that, particularly bad in reverse or fitting an implement standing on the LH side. This exhaust was std. until I think late 53. Here all tractors had it as std., with no option for the vertical type, many were homemade later on, vertical units are still not very easy to get hold of even today, and the correct ones might not even fit with some badges.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Underslung exhausts were standard equipment on early tractors with a vertical exhaust at no extra cost listed in the sales brochure. It all went with the attempt to provide a streamlined image with the air intake mushroom located under the bonnet etc. As everyone says, operators soon found out about the exhaust fumes issue particularly as the diesel model soon became the biggest seller, and the specification changed at some point to vertical exhaust as standard with an underslung exhaust as an option but I think there was a small charge for this option. The same issues were beginning to come in to play with Ferguson tractors with the launch of the TEF diesel model in July 1951. The underslung exhaust also got in the way of fitting equipment such as mid mounted mowers.
Cox and Turner have a range of their own manufactured products for Fordsons, particularly Standard N and E27N models.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I'm not sure if this is good logic, but in the Allan T Condie Dexta book there's a price list at the end of the book where it says that the underslung exhaust could be fitted instead of the vertical one for no charge, I would have been surprised if the Major had had a charge for it after the change. As I said earlier all Ebro tractors used the underslung type, so it's not as rare here as it is elsewhere, what is however rare is the full pipe, most have been shortened and sent out towards the side. I think all KFD tractors used the underslung pipe as well, for it wouldn't be much use to have a low conversion with a towering vertical exhaust. I would say that excessive fumes are also the reason for the extension of the vertical exhaust on the Super Major.
Just looked at Cox and Turner, pretty good lot of spares for earlier Fordsons.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Just checked my sales brochures, the 1952 Major brochure makes no mention of exhausts in standard and optional equipment, the 1957 Major brochure makes no mention, the Power Major brochure has under standard equipment vertical or horizontal exhaust so that suggests no extra charge, the blue orange Super Major brochure makes no mention, the New Performance brochure makes no mention, but finally the New Performance price list has under optional equipment horizontal exhaust no extra charge. So all in all probably no extra charge for a horizontal exhaust in place of a vertical or a vertical in place of a horizontal!!
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I thought all the brochures would mention it, surely the brochure after the change would have mentioned it as it would have been a good selling point. Interesting difference between the Power Major and NP Super Major, probably makes sense when you think about how many had the different kinds, as an NP Super Major with undeslung exhaust is pretty rare (I would say much rarer than a Power Major).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Underslung exhaust, what a party when you are in a rally on a dry dusty off road track just behind one :D
I have oe on my selene, but its missing the silencer.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Billy has a homemade exhaust that doesn't kick up dust, Davie on the other hand has his original one, and he always ends up with much more dust on his rear end than Billy, even though Billy always does more work in the same session. I suspect Super Billy will be a bit like Billy, but at the moment the pipe aims straight at the rear tyre, which is not ideal; we're hoping to get that sorted very soon.
The Selene must sound pretty good like that, but it's probably got a hellish carbon deposit nearby that is not great to have to put up with.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Old52
True Blue

Post by Old52 »

I have been in touch with Martin Cox regarding the underslung exhaust and it looks well made. Interestingly they also have parts available for the petrol engine, like valves and guides, and even carburetor kits, incl. gaskets, float and pins etc. I have now gotten custom pistons made for mine, but the carb needs work, so I will be getting that kit for sure.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Good to know that as I had mainly seen stuff for older Fordsons. Hope you're getting on well with your engine Bob.
Sandy
ImageImageImage