Super 6 Brakes

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Super 6 Brakes

Post by JC »

I removed the wheel and the drive take-off so I could free the brake up. The disc isn't stuck too the housings any more, but its still stuck to the splines. I've cleaned all the rust out of the splines with a seal pick, sprayed it with penetrating oil, tapped on it with a hammer and punch, and even heated it a little (not much, I didn't want to hurt the seal), it still won't come loose. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. If you guys are getting tired of all these pictures, let me know, and I'll quit posting so many.

henk

Post by henk »

No way JC,

Let the oil do it's work. Sometime it takes a long time, with every day penetrating oil, tapping on it with a hammer and punch and just hold on.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

JC
Keep the pictures coming, as we're all jealous of you having a Super 6.
They are quite rare, as many of the board have never seen one, and also interesting how they work.
Kiwi Kev
Last edited by Kiwi Kev on Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

Jc,
If it is really stuck on the splines, cut it in half by drilling a series of holes across the diameter.!!! drill as close together as you can then a small cold chisel to finish the job! Simple(ish),. Dont ask me how i know this ??!!!!

Sandy,
ps, this is a really original super 6 ,quite rare to get in that state ...

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Don't forget to free off that little screw at the bottom. That is important for correct brake adjustment.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

JC

Post by JC »

Thanks for all the help guys. I'd though about splitting it to get it off, but if I ruin that one, where can I find another one?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

It will be a standard Super Major brake disc so you should get one from a breakers. Here in England they are still available.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Is the shaft changed completely to a longer one at the County factory or are the shaft ends extended som how for the drive take off?

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

JC wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. I'd though about splitting it to get it off, but if I ruin that one, where can I find another one?
http://www.agrilineproducts.com/major_p ... t_cart.htm
New brake discs are easily available JC.

Sandy

JC

Post by JC »

Grani,
County made a complete, longer shaft.

Thanks for the link, Sandy. My usual parts sources only have lining kits, but no discs.

JC

Post by JC »

Has anyone bought Super Major brake discs from CNH lately? Emiel posted a link, a couple of years ago, to the Ford parts section of the New Holland web site and they were listed in there. It would be easier for me get them from my local dealer, if they're still available, than have them shipped from Agriline.

http://www.newholland.com/NH_GV_FORD.pdf

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

James,
You were so close ......... :)
You can actually look up the parts on the Nth American site of New Holland. So if you start with the link www.newholland.com and follow the path via Nth America --->Seach for Parts ---- Model number ---- > part name or number, you will come to what you need,

(I was going to paste a link to it here but it isn't possible after searching for the parts.)

Anyway, if you follow the path you'll get there. Once there, you can choose on the right hand side to have the TAB showing FIGURE or PART SEARCH. Closet I could get for the moment is the Figure Diagram of all the transmission parts. Shows the cover to the brake area you have already removed.
Try it and lets know your outcome.

Regards,
Rick

EDIT: It doesn't look like they are available from New Holland anymore. I don't know if you have tried www.bare-co.com but I can't see the steel disc there, only the linings.
'
Regards,
Rick

JC

Post by JC »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Rick. They show the brake disc as "No Longer Available", but I'll still give the part number to the local parts man and see what he can do with it. He told me before that they can sometimes find parts like that in other dealers' inventories.
That is an amazing web site. It even lists parts for my Super 6 and 1164. The parts shown in red are not available, but there are sure a bunch of them in black. I hope they really are still selling them.

Sandy Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Sandy Mac »

They list many super 6 parts, how would we actually check if the items in black text are still available.?
cheers sandy

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

The site varies slightly from Country to Country, but the parts lists/diagrams are all from the one central database for DEALERS and Customers alike. I noticed that you have to create a user name and password for the UK site. Not so in Aus or US. (I haven't checked other countries.)
On the Aus site it says: Make a list (the tick boxes) and use the print list function. Then Fax or take the list to your local dealer. It's a good start I guess.
regards, Rick
'
Regards,
Rick

JC

Post by JC »

I tried everything I could think of, and I still couldn't get it off. I finally split it with a cut-off wheel on a die grinder and an air chisel.

Even with it split ( except for the inside half of the hub) it still didn't want to come off very easily.

It wasn't stuck to the actuator or rusted to the splines, even though it looks like it. I've emailed some wrecking yards. I'll find out if I can get some in the next few days.

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Hi how are you getting on with your project?

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

More pics!!
Depending on the current exchange rate you’re still probably better off getting the parts from Agriline and normally you can have the parts in a week. If it’s the first time you’re getting parts from across the pond I'd suggest ordering only a few small parts as they will most likely get stuck in customs the first time around, after the initial hassle the parts show up lickety split!

Pat

JC

Post by JC »

I haven't gotten very far on any of my projects, because I'm still working on my house. I wish that was done, so I could work on something fun. I did find time to bring another project home, that I don't have time to work on :roll: I'll post some pics of that in the Misc. Forum.

I found some brake discs on eBay, so I don't need any, now. Thanks for the info. on Agriline, Pat. They have parts that you just can't find anywhere else. I know that I'll need to get some stuff from them eventually, especially when I get back to working on the Dexta.