How to replace the PTO Seal on my Fordson Power Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Jackrabbit
Not Quite Blue Yet

How to replace the PTO Seal on my Fordson Power Major

Post by Jackrabbit »

I have a keak on the PTO seal on my Fordson Power Major. How do I replace the seal on this type of a PTO? Thanks. http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3316/1002044b.jpg
Jackson

August
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: How to replace the PTO Seal on my Fordson Power Major

Post by August »

Hello!
To drain oil from transmission - but not necessary all of them. Then unscrew PTO cover bolts (see your picture). Remove the seal from the cover. Install a new one. Change also paper seal for the cover.
It would be reasonable to change bearings (nr. 6208) of PTO shaft as well. Assembly in reverse order.
Fordson Super Major, 1963
Ford Consul, 1960

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Hi Jackson, a trick the guys here tought me is to back the tractor up a barn grade, ditch, hill, etc, this gets the oil to the front of the transmission and the shaft can then be pulled out without having to drain the oil.

Pat

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hi Jackrabbit, I just replaced my seal in raised pto and I have a post on this with pics. I parked on slope so oil would flow toward front therefore did not have to drain any oil. Made my own gasket for retainer. Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

August
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by August »

That's a good footnote! No oil drain at all, if you lift tail up. :wink:
Ford Consul, 1960

Jackrabbit
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jackrabbit »

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have been gone for a few days. When I take the outer cover off, does the shaft come out also? I do not mind draining the transmission. A-Big-Thanks.
Jackson

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

Jackrabbit wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone. I have been gone for a few days. When I take the outer cover off, does the shaft come out also? I do not mind draining the transmission. A-Big-Thanks.

You sure about that? There's a lot of oil in there...
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Depends on how steep the hills are where you live. :wink: If your a flat lander, then drain it! Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Jackrabbit
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jackrabbit »

August wrote:Hello!
To drain oil from transmission - but not necessary all of them. Then unscrew PTO cover bolts (see your picture). Remove the seal from the cover. Install a new one. Change also paper seal for the cover.
It would be reasonable to change bearings (nr. 6208) of PTO shaft as well. Assembly in reverse order.

August> Are both the bearings the same, and are they pressed on? Where can I get the paper sleave for the cover, or can I use>form a gasket compound? I have the cover with the shaft and bearings removed from the PTO.Is this also the seal that I need>E27N7305A.

I drained the front part. When I removed the lower bolt, on the PTO cover, lube was still in it. I thought that it was just in the PTO unit, so I set a small container under it, and walked away. When I checked it again, it had over flowed, and there was lube all over the ground. I take it that the transmission and rear end are all in one. It was real milky, so I have to replace it anyway. A-Big-Thanks for the help.
Jackson

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hi Jackrabbit, I just pulled up my post on leaking raised pto so you could see pics of the unit taken apart. May give you some help on how the old seal was different then the new ones. It should be just under this post on this board. Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Jackrabbit wrote: I drained the front part. When I removed the lower bolt, on the PTO cover, lube was still in it. I thought that it was just in the PTO unit, so I set a small container under it, and walked away. When I checked it again, it had over flowed, and there was lube all over the ground. I take it that the transmission and rear end are all in one. It was real milky, so I have to replace it anyway. A-Big-Thanks for the help.
Just a little warning. The front half and the back half of the transmission are not in the same oil. I am not 100% sure about exact quantities but the front has about 20 litres and the back potentially over 40 litres espacially if the seals in between gearbox and diff have been leaking. I just recently drained the back of an E27N which looked almost empty and it filled a 20 litre container. If you are going to drain it and have a pump of some sort, pump out as much as you can out the filler hole in the back first, then drain the rest into the biggest container you have. 40 litres of oil makes a heck of a mess if it gets on the floor.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

whirly
True Blue

Post by whirly »

From Brian's post on Oil Specs at top of forum:
Oil Capacities.

Engine .. 12 imp. pints .. 6.816 lt
Filter .. 2 imp.pints .. 1.136 lt.
Minimec pump (when fitted) .. 1/3rd imp.pint

Gearbox .. 4.5 imp.gal .. 20.43 lt
Less PTO .. 4.25 imp.gal .. 19.32 lt

Rear axle .. 9 imp.gal .. 40.91 lt
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

August
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by August »

Jackrabbit wrote:
August wrote:Hello!

August> Are both the bearings the same, and are they pressed on? Where can I get the paper sleave for the cover, or can I use>form a gasket compound? I have the cover with the shaft and bearings removed from the PTO.Is this also the seal that I need>E27N7305A.

Jackrabbit> Sorry my late reply! Maybe you have already done the job, but anyway I give more inrormation.
There are 2 pc. bearing on the shaft with nr. 6802 (40x80x18). Shaft seal is double lip type, dimensions 3/4"x2 1/2"x1 1/2". The paper seal (thick. 0,25 mm) btw. cover and housing you can find from any machinery and spare part dealer.
Ford Consul, 1960

Jackrabbit
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Jackrabbit »

Thanks everyone. I got the seal replaced and changed the lube. I also cleaned the 3-point lift filter. Boy was it gummed-up. The seal is not leaking and the 3-point lift is working again. It would barely move before. Now it moves real fast. Surpriseing what a plugged filter will do.
Jackson