Battery

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
curtsat15
True Blue

Battery

Post by curtsat15 »

Next question. My Dad put a new battery in the PM last year. He bought a 12V deep cycle, thinking since the charging system wasn't working, it would be a good idea. Question is this: Will the 12V alternator be adequate to charge a deep cycle battery, or will it only give it a "surface" charge and cut out? If so, is there a solution?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Battery

Post by Brian »

I am no expert on "Deep Cycle" batteries but I thought they were best when operating electric motors under a constant load rather than the short term, high draw currents of starter motors and such like.

"A deep-cycle battery is a lead-acid battery designed to be regularly deeply discharged using most of its capacity. In contrast, starter batteries (e.g. most automotive batteries) are designed to deliver short, high-current bursts for cranking the engine, thus frequently discharged of only a very small part of their capacity. While a deep-cycle battery can be used as a starting battery, the lower "cranking amps" imply that an oversized battery may be required.
A deep-cycle battery is designed to discharge between 50% and 80% depending on the manufacturer and construction of the battery. Although these batteries can be cycled down to 20% charge, the best lifespan vs cost method is to keep the average cycle at about 50% discharge,[1] as there is a direct correlation between depth of discharge on the battery and the number of charge and discharge cycles it can perform
".

This article would seem to imply that you will not get enough cranking amps to start your tractor which could cause other electrical problems with the starter. With a "Normal" battery the Major is a very good starter indeed.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi curtsat15,

It depends on what type of deep cycle battery it is that you have. If it is a gell type battery an alternator will not charge it properly as they generally require voltages that are higher than normal wet cell batteries to avoid sulphating up the plates. I am not sure of the exact voltage but it is closer to 15 volts rather than the 14.2 volts on a normal wet cell. Gell cell batteries can be charged with an alternator for a time, but to get maximum life you will need to top it up with a battery chager designed for gell cell batteries.

If on the other hand your deep cycle battery has normal liquid sulphuric acid and water in the cells you will have no problems with charging. The battery will probably not have the same cold cranking amps of a normal battery but it should be OK.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

It is important to have all the amps you can to crank over our diesels at a fast enough rate to start. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

curtsat15
True Blue

Post by curtsat15 »

The battery is a lead-acid liquid filled type. It starts the Major no problem when fully charged, but takes a long time to charge off the charger, as it is the deep cycle type charger which varies the voltage as the charge reaches completion. My Major is a great starter so far, but I have yet to try and start it in our cold Manitoba winter. I have a circulating heater on the engine, so that will help. I don't know off hand what the cranking amp rating of the battery is.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Just keep in mind that our old Fordsons had two six volt batterys for more cranking amps than a single 12. In the summer a single 12 volt 1000 CCA battery starts my FPM without a problem. It will take more amps in the cold especially below freezing temps. The block heater will help a lot. Plug it in an hour or two before you want to use the tractor as they use a fair amount of electric if you leave them pluged in all the time. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

curtsat15
True Blue

Post by curtsat15 »

Thanks Dave, will do!