Interesting 3 point linkage implements

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Interesting 3 point linkage implements

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

I love the idea of using our Majors for as many different jobs as possible. Can you suggest different implements that could be attached to the 3 point linkage - and perhaps some more unusual ones? I use a plough, a saw bench and a crane.

Can't wait to hear the ideas!

Regards

Adrian

Pascal
True Blue

Re: Interesting 3 point linkage implements

Post by Pascal »

Hi Adrian,

Great topic! :beer:
I like my "bucket" (I don't know the correct English translation :scratchhead: ) in the lift of my tractor.

I use it to transport sand or to remove snow from our street in the winter.
It can tip, by pulling a lever. Of course a hydraulic version is an option.
Please let me know, if you need more pictures.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Great application, Pascal. I love anything that harnesses the power of the tractor and saves the owner from breaking his back. Your bucket passes this test with flying colours! Love to see a photo of the bucket scraping snow, if you have one.

Love your tractor by the way. My neighbour has a six cylinder and I affectionately call it 'The Beast' because of its awesome power. The engine note is amazing. On heavy land he pulls a Ransomes 3 furrow plough with ease. Do you go ploughing with yours?

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

That is a lovely six cylinder Pascal. Anyone would be happy to have that parked in his barn. One of my toys is a Farmi JL50 skidding winch with a dozer blade on the 3 point. 10,000 pound line pull gets whole trees to the landing with ease. It's presently on my 65 horsepower tractor made in Scotland. :beer:
Never give up!

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Great subject.
I use a Steib vertilizer as a trunck. It's filled with some parts as light and fuses, tyrapes and tape, but also a heavey rope and a chain to pul, my rain cote and a chear. It lifts the front of the major so it's easy to steer.

Of course my EP2J plough.

And I have a Lien back loader.
I have used it recently to get manure out of a goat barn. I plan to make it a multi functional implement. When I make a fence and a bottom on the manure fork I have a high working platform. To level the manure fork, I put a hydraulic ram on it. I would also like a bucket on and a forklift. A crane arm can also be attached to the forklift tool. To operate I need a four hydraulic valve block with double acting valves. One for the cylinder that is on the loader. A cylinder for which the bucket operated. One for a hydraulic toplink and one for security arm to prevent the tractor getting up at the front.
It is a plan for the next five years.

Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Really cool pieces of kit, Pascal. The muck fork looks really useful. One of the reasons for posting this topic is that I'm looking for ideas. I've got a few good ones already! :thumbs:

Your Major is a lovely example. I hope mine looks as good one day.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

My saw bench. Not pretty, I know. I promise I'm working on a mesh guard for the pto area! This bench is a great though. Plonk it down in a wood or next to a hedgerow and half an hour later you've got a nice pile of firewood.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

My favorite toy is my back hoe attachment. It is only a rather nasty Chinese brand that breaks pins if you push it too hard, but every time one breaks I make a new one that is made out of the right steel and it gets better. Makes those pesky tree stumps much easier to get out.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Loving your tractor, Frank.

How are the back hoe hydraulics driven - by the tractor pump, or by an external pump driven by the pto?

Do the back hoe feet lift the tractor's back wheels off the ground, as with a JCB?

Regards

Adrian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

We had a three point hitch log splitter for fire wood when we were on the farm. Should have kept that one but it went in the auction when my dad sold the place. I have York Rake mounted on my Major at the moment. Works great! I really like using that attachment as it does an excellent job touching up driveways and finnish work on landscaping prior to seeding a lawn. Most likely the most common attachment is a topper, or bush hog. I have a Woods 184 MD that I use several times a year. Dandy Dave!

Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Very nice set up, Dave. :thumbs:

Your Major is in great condition and is well loved by the looks of things. I'm not envious of your raised pto, you understand (well, I might be just a little!).

Regards

Adrian

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Adrian,

Unfortunately I can't find the pictures in the snow. There are not that spectaculair though. We had about 15 cm of snow? :eyes:

Here are some detailed pictures of the bucket. Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures.

The black bar is detachable and easies the attachment to the tractor. It's also the weakest part of the bucket... :eyes:
Mine has been bent once...

This lever is to tip the bucket. It closes again when you drop the lift and drive forward.

The 6 cylinder engine is great indeed: who needs a radio during work, when one has the sound of a six men orchestra! :buddies:
Unfortunately I don't have much work for my tractor. I hope to work with a cultivator next Saturday though.
I'll bring my camera. :mrgreen:
Best regards,
Pascal

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Thanks for the photos, Pascal. Nice bit of kit.

Your tractor is just made for a cultivator or a power harrow. All that power from that beautiful six-cylinder would find a proper challenge. Photos of the event would be much appreciated! :thumbs:

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

AdrianNPMajor wrote:Loving your tractor, Frank.

How are the back hoe hydraulics driven - by the tractor pump, or by an external pump driven by the pto?

Do the back hoe feet lift the tractor's back wheels off the ground, as with a JCB?

Regards

Adrian
Hi Adrian,

The hydraulics are driven with a PTO pump. The back hoe has an oil resivour built in as well. It is mounted to the three point linkage at the moment so when you put the feet down it does not lift the tractor, but it did come with a rigid frame mount that would let it do that. If I ever decide to mount it to one of my other tractors permanently I will probably fit the frame as it will give it more stability and I will be able to lift a little more weight. For the moment it stays on the 3 point so that I can swap to other implements.
Pascal wrote:The 6 cylinder engine is great indeed: who needs a radio during work, when one has the sound of a six men orchestra! :buddies:
No argument from me :beer:

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

This forklift mast spends most of its time on the back of my dads Major. When I got it, it was two or three stages high but the boys were quite young yet at the time so I striped it down to only one stage for fear of them getting a load twenty feet in the air and floping the tractor and all over on its side. It gets used quite regularily and requires some counterweight on the front to pick up any sizeable load.

Pat

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

This will be my contribution, a 7.5m liquid organic fertiliser mixer.( Kind of reminds of a "well known" politician.... :run:)
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

I have never seen anything like the fertiliser mixer. Looks great. How does it actually work? :scratchhead:

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

It's kinda like starting an outboard motor in a barrel of ----; it keeps things mixed up and liquified (and odiferous)! :clap:
Never give up!

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Yes Kim, your pretty much right, including the odiferous part! :clap:Adrian Here is another picture,
I've used other effluent stirrers (liquid organic fertiliser/sh*t stirrers) but encountered a number of problems,mainly being too short and that at least one of the universal joints gets is on too much of an angle, so I ended up making this one, out of what I could locate on the farm ( the Zweegers PZ CM 165 parts were most useful) :eyes: As it was built specifically for the 4000, the first yellow driveshaft can be set up as a constant veloscity joint and the second yellow driveshaft is set up as a constant veloscity joint,and in phase, so both the PTO shaft on the tractor and the impellor are rotating at the same speed, so the end result is as effluent stirrers go ,its quite smooth running. :thumbs:
Another picture with it running. :mrgreen:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Most interesting and very ingenious. :thumbs: :yeah:

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi guys,
I have posted pictures of the cultivator job on the misc. topic (how to get more grip: last years pictures).

@ TSG,
Great pictures! I believe the CM165 mower is a Dutch fabrication: Piet Zweegers.
Great to see the mower is re-used now on the other side of the world.
Does the 4000 needs to work hard on the mixer?
Best regards,
Pascal

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Pascal,if I'm correct Zweegers at Geldorp sold out to Vicon and then to Kuhn.I have a new hay rake, a KUHN Haybob 360, which is made in the same factory as my PZ CM 165 Mower and PZ Haybob that are both 35 years old, and have seen better days,( Or as I would say "the curse of the vineyards!") :curse: As for the "effluent"stirrer on the 4000, its the next best thing to a dyno, as it will load the engine, maximum rpm@1700, normaly I'll only run it at 1200 to 1400 rpm. :mrgreen:
And Kev, no I haven't fixed the CM165 yet.... :eyes:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900