Bull Pinion Shaft oil seals (brakes)

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
bigmax7
Not Quite Blue Yet

Bull Pinion Shaft oil seals (brakes)

Post by bigmax7 »

Power Major
How do you change the inner and outer oil seals. I have oil leaking into the drum brake and contaminating the brake shoes.
Is it easy, do you just remove the brake back plate and detach the shaft sleeve and push out the seal and fit new, then re-assembly. Or will the Bull Pinion and Shaft fall out. Does it require much setting up.
Does anyone know the size or common part number for the seals.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You can change the seal as you said by drawing the outer housing off. The bull pinion shaft will stay in place or can be drawn out with the bearing after removing a circlip when you have got the outer housing off.

The only area for shims to set up the dif clearance is where the housing bolts through the dif bearing carrier to the axle housing. Normally you have to line them up with the bolts when you put it all back. We used to stick them on with grease if required.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dietmar
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Dietmar »

After filling the rear axle with oil I discovered that between the LH brake the ext. housing and the carrier is a leak.
I took the shaft with the housing off and disocvered that
1. the seals are gone
how to remove the bull pinion shaft from the outer housing without destroying the outer bearing if stuck? It does not move at all!
This problem is solved: I got it off by pushing it out useing the weight of the assy hitting a wooden block - the bearing is still ok

2. the shim is damaged bad
would it work to make a shim - do not know right now where to get 0.005 material yet - and cut it open on the upper side and seal it in with wellseal? I like to avoid taking the hydraulics off again after the fresh paint.

Thank you for any hint

Best regards

Dietmar