No Fuel

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

No Fuel

Post by Kiwi Kev »

I've bled the fuel through on my Major engine, up to the injector pump. Upon cranking the engine, are only able to get fuel out of 3 of the connections on top of the injector pump.
Any ideas of what to look for? I've had the inspection cover off and squirted diesel around in there, which has freed up 1x pumping element, but still 1x not pumping.
Although the injector pump has been off the engine for a time, it was sealed with caps , where possible. (the injector pipes are only removed while taking the photo)
The excess fuel button also wont stay in when pushed. Should there be any clips/springs that hold it in until the engine starts.
Also, can anyone confirm the type of Simms pump this is.
Kiwi Kev
Last edited by Kiwi Kev on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Stuck pumping element is a possibility. When a pump is to be left off an engine for any length of time it should be filled with a rust inhibitor like Shell Fusus oil.

I would try a mixture of diesel and ATF in it for a couple of days Kev.

The excess fuel button may be simple. You don't have the throttle connected. Move the throttle lever open on the pump, hold it open and try the button. Should work. then pull the stop lever, should fly out. On Minimec pumps the throttle must always be about 1/4 open for the button to stay in.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Hi
I only got back to the engine tonight due to various reasons.
I removed the pumping element assembly, and checked it out. All elements now free.

Now for the stupid question :oops:
looking at the pump in the photo, behind the pump (unseen in photo) is the lever which I presume is the throttle, high & low adjusters.
Visable in photo (top left of pump) is what i presume is the fuel cutoff lever. Is fuel cutoff with that lever forward or back?
Thanks
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

International 784 4WD

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

i would say you nearly always pull a stop button, so towards rear of engine will be fuel off, with a spring to pull it fowards after you release stop button to turn it on again.

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Super 6
On my working Major which has the industrial engine in it, you pull the lever forward to stop. This pump is slightly different to my working Major, hence the question.
I'll be ready to crank it over tonight, so will just try both positions
Thanks
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

International 784 4WD

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Back to stop all Majors Kev.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian