1953 Major air cleaner

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
porteous
True Blue

1953 Major air cleaner

Post by porteous »

Took the Major out for its first real run today. Only two faults really showed up, fuel leak from the filter housing (sealing ring and outlet pipe, both now on order) and oil all over the place round the air cleaner. Stripping the air cleaner revealed the top part full of wire mesh in loose rings, not "element" in the lower part of the bath and no dealing ring anywhere, just the locking ring. I am slightly confused. Am I missing an element, or is the mesh in the top the element ? My parts list shows an element ( E242-CL-9 ) and a sealing ring (E243-CL-9 ). I have tried my usual suppliers but cannot get any lihght on the problem. The elements are available (If I need one?), but not the seals.

Any ideas??

halloween
True Blue

Re: 1953 Major air cleaner

Post by halloween »

Hi Porteous,

I'm guessing that this is what it should look like inside...

My own filter is missing the removeable element bit but I have extended the centre pipe down below the oil level and there is still the mesh in the upper section so it should not be too bad (hopefully!)
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

Many thanks. That answers most of my question. ( A picture worth 1000 words, etc) , although the upper parts in mine are loose. I think just getting a new lower element may well calm things down enough for it not to leak oil all over. Silverline list the element, but not the rubber seal. I suspect a bit of silicon sealant will work as well?

Regards; David Craig

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

You will have to be careful there David because I was trying to get hold of an element exactly like the one in the picture with the lip around the middle, but Agriline only do one with the lip at one end. Hence my reason for extending the centre tube and doing away with the lower element.

I'll try and find the original thread....

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=2&t=4186

There you go.

Steve
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

I've had the same problem, even when I was driving Majors for a living. Its easy to screw up the fastener with a gap between the bowl and top part of the cleaner. It looks OK from the visible side. When I thought that I had got it right I used to twist the bowl round to make sure that it had seated properly and then put my hand as far as I could round the back to make sure that there wasn't a gap, then screw up the fastener with a hand under the bowl keeping it up close to the top.

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

Thanks to both of you. I was just about to order the agriline one! How did you extend the pipe? Of course, without the pipe being under the level of the oil the cleaner is just not working properly. Do you know if a dexta element will fit? I keep seeing them but am really not at all sure.

And I will make sure the band is properly on before tightening!

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

Having read the whole of the previous thread I think I will just fashion some chicken wire to stop the upper mesh falling out and extend the central pipe about 1" below the surface of the oil bath. Simples (?)

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

I'm not sure I follow the reasonings behind some of these posts.
Firstly, on the induction stroke a piston needs to suck air in. If the airway is obstructed by a fluid, then the vacuum the piston creates will suck that fluid in -- in the case outlined here, until the level of fluid is lowered and air only becomes accessible. I know a diesel is often called an 'oil burner', but feeding it neat oil is a bit drastic.
Secondly, if the oil container part of the filter is loose, then the oftentimes violent movement of the tractor will inevitably cause messy spillage. Overfilling will also cause excessive exhaust smoke.
The principle of an oil based air cleaner is very simple -- if not overly efficient: In any extreme angle change of flow, air, being a gas, will, for the most part, follow that direction change without being overly impeded. Solids, on the other hand, having mass cannot because its weight needs time and distance to overcome its forward momentum. Before these can do so they are trapped by the surface of the oil leaving clean air to enter the cylinders.
However, modern engines do not rely on oilbath cleaners because a large proportion of fine wear causing dust can still be sucked into the cylinders.
Pavel

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

I will try and explain my thoughts on the problem. Porteus says that he has "oil all over the place round the air cleaner".
If the oil is coming out of the fins of the pre cleaner, at the top, then I agree that there is a problem inside. If oil is coming out at the bottom I think that the joint between the main fixture and the bowl is leaking and isn't fitted together properly.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
The other thing to watch is that after years of vibrations or a loose hood sliding around hitting the air cleaner on a trusty major the spot welds that hold the brackets on can pull out or crack :wink: . This happend on my super.

It would pour oil down on the starter after it ran. I tried another clamp, bowl and inner filter in case anything was damaged and still the same :cry: . I got so mad i pulled the unit off to replace it :evil: and on removal I noticed a hole in 1 spot weld then found 3 more cracked when I pulled on the Bracket more.
It looks like the oil was pulled up when the motor was running then when it was stopped it drained back out the pin holes from the broken welds :) I just welded right round the bracket with a mig and the problem went away.

so if you know the rest of the parts are good bare this in mind and have a look. when it was on the tractor you could not see the holes as it was half way up at the back of the air cleaner :wink:
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

fenhayman is quite right, I think that the securing band was not properly seated. As to the working principle, that
seems quite clear. Incoming air is sucked through the oil bath by the induction cycle, then through a lot of gauze to catch any debris and to prevent oil in suspension being carried into the engine.

If the elements can no longer be found then lengthening the down pipe by an equivilant length to compensate for the missing filter would seem to at least get the incoming air through the oil bath,

With most of us I rather dounbt that our tractors will be working day after day in very dusty environments, as they might have when younger, The reduction in cleaning action caused by the missing (lower) removable element may not be too critical, the upper (non removable) gauze providing sufficiant filtration.

porteous
True Blue

Post by porteous »

I have managed a solution which should work just fine. After careful measuring it is clear that the inlet pipe on my Sept 53 tractor already goes under the oli bath level when properly filled. I got an Agriline filter, ground off the flange, which released the pierced bottom plate. wound the wire mesh fill round the inlet pipe then used the bottom plate like a large pierced washer to hold things in place. It works just fine!