'57 New Major hydraulics not holding + more

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Re: '57 New Major hydraulics not holding + more

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Dave
Glad you're able to move the job forwards. Pavel has given you sensible options to reduce costs, but for a little larger outlay, if that's possible, I'd unbolt the engine, whip the head off, put it on one side, rebuild the block and put the head back on. At a later date you'd have the option of removing the head to give it the treatment. Your engine is nearly seventy years old and could do with having new mains and big end shells, new liners and pistons, as well as having a good clean out of the oil galleries. The thing is, once this is done, you'll have a tractor that will never let you down. For the sake of a few hundred extra dollars it's worth doing, if the budget allows.
Best
Adrian :thumbs:

DaveP
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DaveP »

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll talk to the mechanic to see how much extra labour he reckons there'd be. I see the full rebuild kit is not that costly, although I don't need the top end seals, etc.

It's a case of avoiding too much more cost.... but I understand what you're saying. If the engine comes out I guess checking and if need be replacing the clutch should also be considered :scratchhead:

Again many thanks, Dave.
1957 New Major Mk2. Raised PTO, Heavy wheels. An oldie but a goodie. Just needs to be used in a student panel beating and spray painting course.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Dave
If the budget will allow, yes it would be sensible to overhaul the clutch. New drive plate, clutch release bearing and spigot bearing. With a rebuilt engine putting out full power again it would be reassuring to know that you are not relying on seventy year old clutch components to transfer the drive.
Best

DaveP
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DaveP »

Hi all,

Just an update. My tractor is still at the mechanic's workshop. I've allowed him a fair bit of time, as we've had the wet season here, a time where my tractor is too heavy for the ground. Things are drying up now though.

He has replaced all the bottom end bearings, including the mains and has replaced the oil pump. The crank was amazingly still in good condition, just needed a gentle rub or two. All bearings replaced are standard size. Incredible considering this engine has been running probably for years with almost no oil pressure and contaminated by water, oil. The mechanic did all this work with the engine in situ. He has not as yet started it.

It is currently split to replace the oil seals between the gearbox and rear diff. He hopes he has the correct seals. In the cavity he found pieces and balls of a broken large roller bearing. He has checked the rear drive and there is no sloppiness, so it's a mystery where these bits of bearing have come from. He suspects the rear diff if anything, but since it is presenting as solid he'll soon be putting the tractor back together. There is a chance these bits are remnants from an earlier repair, might have dropped down and never fished out. I hope so.

I'll report when I get her home. I then just need to finish the top end, which is retension the head and tappets when hot. All good I guess :) , but serious damage to my wallet :(

All the best from Darwin, Dave.
1957 New Major Mk2. Raised PTO, Heavy wheels. An oldie but a goodie. Just needs to be used in a student panel beating and spray painting course.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Dave
The only large ball bearing (ie not roller bearing) in this area is the one on the final output shaft from the gearbox. Your mechanic will see it when he replaces the upper seal. As far as I am aware, all the bearings in the rear axle are roller bearings, and in any case it's unlikely that one of these has failed without you noticing some obvious symptoms; unlikely too that the debris would make its way so far forward.
My guess is that the large roller bearing mentioned above and shown in the photos below has broken up. If the seals you are replacing failed, it is possible that this bearing didn't get enough lubrication. It sounds like your mechanic hadn't reached the stage of exposing the upper seal, and therefore this bearing, when you wrote your post. I wonder what he will find when he does.
By the way, had the tractor been split between gearbox and rear end before? You'd know, as the the seal between the two would still be the original and undisturbed. I'm guessing again, but the likelihood is that it hasn't, and even it it has, I can't imagine anyone would make such a major repair as replacing this bearing and then leave the broken pieces of the old one lying on the floor of the casing.
Look forward to hearing more. Some photos would be very helpful
Best

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

DaveP
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DaveP »

Hi Adrian,

Very valuable info...thanks... the tractor is split, but I do not think he's exposed the upper seal as yet. I'll email him your opinion. I'll be rapt if this is it. No pics as it's a one hour round trip to the tractor. I've no spare time.

Thanks heaps again, will let you know what happens. Dave.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Dave
I'm working on deduction and elimination. I could easily be wrong. :run: My lower seal failed, meaning that the uppermost bearing at the rear of the gearbox also failed - the cage broke up, but the rollers stayed in place, thank goodness. The main output bearing was unharmed because even with the lowered oil level in the gearbox resulting from the leakage into the rear axle the level was still high enough for the output bearing to be lubricated. So I'm guessing yours was getting oil too. Also, I can't quite see how the balls would have escaped the flange that holds the seal. All of this undermines the deduction and process of elimination that I have gone through based on the evidence ie the presence of balls from a ball bearing. Yet if the balls didn't come from this bearing, where did they come from? :scratchhead:
Your mechanic might reveal more when he removes the flange in the first photo above.
Best

DaveP
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DaveP »

Hi folks... well I won't say G'day .. as for me it's not :( Just had an SMS from my mechanic... when he was pulling the PTO gearbox off the main box to get to the seal easier, he found an old crack where the selector lever is mounted. This is a big oil leak and someone has tried to patch it with fibreglass and glue. Might have to get it cast welded. Will get an update on the mystery broken bearing.
"Bugger" is all I can say at this point. More news soon, Dave.
Last edited by DaveP on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Dave
Sorry to hear that. :stress: Have you got a breakers yard in your area that might have any Majors? If so, should be a relatively cheap and easy solution to get a replacement PTO housing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Best

DaveP
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DaveP »

Hi again folks,

Saw my mechanic this morning and the cracked PTO housing. The crack is across the corner of where the PTO selector actuator bolts on. So the actuators mounting plate is buggered too. Rivets have been used to hold it on.

I'm chasing these parts with some wreckers now, but have none local so shipping will be costly. Considering replacement wheel guards and floors whilst I am it. The main supports on my guards are rusted through and the floors are fairly buggered too.

On the discovered bits of roller bearing in my earlier post, it is actually a tapered roller, still no idea where it has come from, just hope it was left over residue from a previous repair.

More news soon, Dave.

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Not sure, Dave, who you've tried, or have had any success with, but the following both have Majors for wrecking.
Stonyford Tractor Wreckers [in Victoria] have one. www.stonyfordtractors.com.au
Neils Parts [in NSW] have 12. Tel:1800 463457

Pavel

DaveP
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DaveP »

Thanks Pavel, I am in touch with both these companies as well as a wrecker on Gumtree .
I am also asking about wheel guards and floors as mine are buggered .
A small fortune is going into this tractor so maybe I should make it look a bit better.
Thanks again, Dave

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Dave
There are only so many jobs that need doing, and you're ticking them off one by one. The end result will be a great tractor that will repay all your hard work and investment.
Best

DaveP
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by DaveP »

G'day folks,

Just had a call from my mechanic.... she's ready to get home :D :D :D :D

Ended up getting a PTO box from a wrecker in South Australia, but initially the wrong one was sent to me... from a Power Major... more $$ with freight to change it over.
All I needed was the casing, but with gears in it was the only option. Without including the freight it cost me A$450. The week after I bought it, I saw a complete '54 Major not running, does not look pretty.. for $500 in my area... it was in the paper.
Did not see the ad until late on a Saturday, the tractor had sold to a guy with a buggered block at 7.30 that morning. :( :( :shock:

I'll update with more info when she's home.

Hope all are well.... and thanks heaps for everyone's help.... :buddies: Dave.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Great news, Dave. Well done for persevering. :clap:
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

hojoos
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by hojoos »

Hello everyone. I do not write an essay, I order everything on the Internet. If you are interested, then I share the info. By clicking on the link Essays.Assigncode.com, you can learn more about the benefits of essays written by professional authors. This company employs experienced performers who can as soon as possible prepare a high-quality essay on any topic. I already checked it.

maxnowell
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by maxnowell »

Well? How did this story end? I massively admire Dave's perseverance with his tractor; he deserves a medal or even better, a proper running Major. And the essay-plagiarist or whatever he is, he can go away.