Transmission oil level

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
beck826
Not Quite Blue Yet

Transmission oil level

Post by beck826 »

Hope these questions aren't to dumb but .......

How do you check the front transmission oil level?
Also does the hydraulics work of the oil in the rear axial?

super6954
True Blue

Re: Transmission oil level

Post by super6954 »

Hi
To check the gearbox oil level look on the left side by the clutch pedal, you will see a big plug sticking out. That is the fill level plug :wink: . Before you remove it wire brush the junk off the front face as you look at that plug facing the side of the gearbox. there should be low and high or full written on there, I do so many im used to it and cant think whats stamped on it :lol: you kinda eyeball the level on the inside to this writing on the outside. there is about an inch between low and high level.
the hyds work off the oil in the back as you say and levels checked by the dipstick in front of the seat if you havent found it yet.
When you check the levels you may find the gearbox is low and the hyds high. this can be a sign the internal seals between the pto or the gearbox top shaft, or even in the worst case both sets are leaking and need repair. check the hyd oil for water in the bottom, slightly loosen the plugs the water should run out the threads but don't go to far as you'll get a 40 litre messy suprise :cry: . one plugs in the bottom of the pto drive housing in the bottom of the gearbox. the other is underneath the rear axle between the draw bar frames in the center casting. if the oil looks like white cream on the dipstick when it's run that is a sign it has water in it too, and will need flushing and the filter cleaning and the oil changed. This is a common problem on old majors :wink: .
see how ya get on and if you find any of this get back to us or search through the forum and most of this stuff is here in other posts :)
Good luck :)
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

beck826
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by beck826 »

Thank you very much for the info.

Now my next problem I drained the rear axil then I filled put about 40 LT in it but the level was above full on the dip stick. Does that make any sense? It was way over the full mark.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

To be sure, you really need to replace the seals that Robert describes above. The seals in question have been in place for fifty years or so and it's a fair bet that they need replacing. Involves a bit oi work but they won't need doing again for another big chunk of time.

Plenty of knowledgeable members on here to talk you through the job.

Best

Adrian

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

beck826 wrote: Now my next problem I drained the rear axil then I filled put about 40 LT in it but the level was above full on the dip stick. Does that make any sense? It was way over the full mark.
Without being rude, there are 2 compartments, each having their own drain plug, their own fill plug and their own dipstick/level mark.
The gearbox takes 20 litres, has the large fill nut beside the clutch, and a oil level indicator inside the housing where the large nut goes.
The rear transmission takes 40 litres, is filled through the large fill nut behind the seat, and has a dipstick beside the gear lever/left knee area.

Where did you put the oil?
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

The capacity of the ram[s] for the 3 point linkage make a difference to the diff. oil level. When draining they should be in the lowered position.
Pavel

beck826
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by beck826 »

Please do not be scared to be rude I drained them in the correct spots and filled in the correct spots . turns out im not very smart and just put to much in someone messed up the conversion my bad? not sure how im going to drain only a little bit of oil from rear axil? Also I am changing the oil because it was that white chunky oil that I have read is a common problem . I'm pretty sure my seals are good as I was not experiencing any of the other issues like the rear going into the front.

Glenn
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Glenn »

If you have a line set up for aux hydro output just take fitting from end of hose and pump it out.

1954 Fordson Major
1974 Ford 5000
1948 Farmall C

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

beck826 wrote: turns out im not very smart and just put to much in someone messed up the conversion my bad?

I'm pretty sure my seals are good as I was not experiencing any of the other issues like the rear going into the front.
Atleast too much oil is a relativly easy fix.

Just to clarify, leaking seals will normally allow the oil to leak from the front to the rear.(gerabox into the rear transmission)
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!