Tyre Information

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Tyre Information

Post by Mike Kuscher »

The tyres on my old girl are badly cracked, through age and I've been meaning to replace them for some time.
Now, due to bad luck, it's been forced upon me.
Whilst hedge cutting yesterday, I found a 'foreign body' embedded within the verge, that split the front tyre and took a piece out of the back tyre. (and, of course, the hedge cutter is still mounted).
YES! Both tyres. :evil: So, I'm now in the market for new tyres and tubes all round.

Fronts are 6.00 x 19
Rears are 12.4 x 36

Can anyone advise of a 'low priced' source of supply, preferably around the west midlands area, for tyres and tubes?
Also, any idea of prices?

Thanks,
Mike

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Mike,

I use Central Tyres, a nation wide company. They always do a good deal for me too. You may find that the rear tyres will now be 8 ply rather than 6 but they go on easy. No idea on the price today but mine cost around the £150.00 each for the rears. A couple of 6.00x16 for the Dexta, with new tubes, cost around £40.00 each.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Hi Mike,

If Central Tyres don't come up with the goods, I got new tyres for my Dexta from a company called Land Tyres at Bishops Itchington, Warwickshire. They were very good on prices.

LAND TYRE SERVICE
Gaydon Road, Bishops Itchington, Southam, Warwickshire CV47 2QZ
Tel: 01926 613889 (6 lines) Fax: 01926 613096
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Brian, Chris,

Thanks for your replies. I will check out both and let you know how I get on.

So Chris, Bishops Itchington eh?
Never actually heard of them. I've obviously been missing out.
2 years ago we relocated our office to Banner Lane, Coventry. Prior to that, for nearly 20 years we were on the Heathcote :shock:

Mike

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Brian, Chris,

Have been in touch with both companies this morning.
Both will supply tyres and tubes, both quote prices needing 17.5% VAT to be added, both will fit for you included in the price, both require you to deliver and collect (no problem).

Now for the surprise...

Central Tyre: 12.4 x 36 = 225 GBP Tube = 40.38 GBP 6.00 x 19 = 55 GBP Tube = 16 GBP
Land Tyre: 12.4 x 36 = 171 GBP Tube = 28 GBP 6.00 x 19 = 42 GBP Tube = 12 GBP

Guess where I'm going :D

Mike

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

Mike Kuscher wrote:Have been in touch with both companies this morning.
Sounds like you must have tried mentioning Brian's name at the first one .... ? :lol:

Rick
'
Regards,
Rick

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Brian,

Quick check for safety please.
You will recall that I had odd front wheels, one 3 spoke and one four spoke?
As I have to get new front tyres, now is the ideal time to swap out the '3 spoker' if at all possible.
Someone has given me an old four spoke wheel, that had been lying around in their yard for some years.
It's pretty rusty and the inside full of 'gunk' but should clean up and paint up, if I can do it quickly enough.

Now my question, this 4 spoke wheel is cast with 'Fordson' instead of 'EnFo'. Can't make out any casting codes, too faint.
I suspect this means it's off an E27 instead of an E1A.
Am I right in assuming that all the sizes will be exactly the same and I can just clean, paint and swap it?

Obviously, with limited time, don't want to put the effort in then find it's an unsuitable swap.

Mike

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Mike,
Sounds like you are right and you have an E27N wheel. You may find that it is also a different shape and does not have an inner shield cast into the rim below the spokes on the inside.

Everything else should be the same.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Brian,

Yes, it's an E27N wheel allright. Started cleaning up last night and found faint markings about "Made in Ireland" and something that contains E27N within it (too faint to read).

It looks the same as the EnFo one and does have the 'shield' - cast diameter of around 6" ?
So, I'll try it and see how we go on. Just got to wait for the rears to be delivered newly shod on Wednesday morning, 'cos, when I got there on Saturday, they had sold one of the two tyres they were 'holding' for me so, had to leave the wheel and wait until they get a replacement matching pair.

Mike.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Tyres

Post by Bensdexta »

Mike Kuscher wrote:Both will supply tyres and tubes, both quote prices needing 17.5% VAT to be added, both will fit for you included in the price, both require you to deliver and collect...
Now for the surprise...
Central Tyre: 12.4 x 36 = 225 GBP Tube = 40.38 GBP 6.00 x 19 = 55 GBP Tube = 16 GBP
Land Tyre: 12.4 x 36 = 171 GBP Tube = 28 GBP 6.00 x 19 = 42 GBP Tube = 12 GBP
Mike,
I need some new rear tyres for my Dexta. I wondered how you found your new tyres and whether you recommend Central Tyre? Which branch did you use? What make did you get? Were they 8 ply?

Must I have inner tubes also?

Thanks for your help,
Ben

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Ben,

I went to Land Tyre instead of Central, the price difference, if you look at my 'quote', is considerable.
The tyres are 'Petlas' (seem quite common now) but have an identical 'look' to my originals.
Unless your inner tubes are in good condition (I didn't take the risk) then you will need tubes too.
Although I could have saved money by fitting myself (Land Tyre will deliver if required) I found it worth just taking the wheels to them and letting them do the job.
Very happy with what Land Tyre fitted for me and I would recommend them.
With the price difference from Central, it would even be worth your making the trip.

Mike
Nobody is perfect and I want to be a Nobody.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Land Tyre Service

Post by Bensdexta »

Mike Kuscher wrote:I went to Land Tyre instead of Central, the price difference, if you look at my 'quote', is considerable.
Mike,
I wasn't seeing straight! I see Land Tyre are conveniently placed near the M40.
Many thanks,
Ben