Super Major -62

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Broadspeed
True Blue

Super Major -62

Post by Broadspeed »

Bought this yesterday, while I was buying new front tires to my Dexta.. It was so cheap that I had to buy it :lol:

Engine has some problem and needs attention. Maybe the complete rebuild would be the best choice.. Previous owner already repaired the lifting hydraulics, rear axle sealings and brakes. Also new starting motor and front tyres seems to be installed.

Last edited by Broadspeed on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

curtsat15
True Blue

Re: Super Major -63 (engine rebuild?)

Post by curtsat15 »

Hard to say. You don't give any specifics on how the engine runs, if at all. And by the way, how good of a deal was it?

Broadspeed
True Blue

Re: Super Major -63 (engine rebuild?)

Post by Broadspeed »

Previous owner told that engine runs but there was a big "klonk" and the he turned the engine off. I paid 700€ and there comes also a drag? with it. Or how do You call one like this?

Usually You have to pay 1500€ or more for a project Major here in Finland, without front loader or other things. Those snow chains are also at least worth of 300€ :)
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Super Major -63 (engine rebuild)

Post by Dandy Dave »

Nice Find. :D Try to determine where the clunk came from. Sometimes it is not what one may think. Pull the valve cover first and see if a valve dropped in a cylinder. This happend to a Super that a friend of mine owned several years ago. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

Yesterday we moved the Major to a better position for transport with my friend. Today we will pick it up :)

I also tried to check the serial number, and this is what I found: 08B769000.. Is that correct? What is the exact year model?
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

Hi - your serial number indicates August 1962 making the engine at least a standard orange wheel super major and not a new performance type :? But still looks a great tractor ! :beer:
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

Broadspeed
True Blue

Re: Super Major -62 (engine rebuild)

Post by Broadspeed »

Ok, thanks for fast respond. What a pity :? It is strange, because the grey paint seems to be original? Even under the grey paint you can't see any orange.. And in the papers this is -63. Maybe sold in Finland in 1963..
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

That's fine, yeh look quite original - have you any casting codes off the gearbox or rear axel ?! They could be 63 and the engine could be a replacement ?! :?
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

a picture of the back end and one of the hydraulic top cover will tell us if its a new performance

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

I have to check the casting codes and take some pics of the hydraulics..

Yesterday we picked up Major, and today disassembled it for 2,5 hours.. Only one piston/liner damaged..

Now some order to Agriline :)
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

try Emmark uk for parts. :wink:

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

There aren't any prices mentioned :?
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

curtsat15
True Blue

Post by curtsat15 »

Wow, that's definitely a clunk you don't want to hear! But I'm glad that it's only 1 cylinder/piston. Have you tried Agriline for parts?

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Just goes to show how strong the con rods are on the Major. Any sign of damage to the con rod in question?

Best

Adrian

fnoller
True Blue

Post by fnoller »

You have to measure if the conrod is bend or twisted, or else it will smash the engine Again :cry:
Fordson for life...

1955 Fordson Major (restorating)

1963 Fordson Super Major New Performance (New Project)

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

I didn't measure/inspect the condod yet, but it looked ok. Bearings were also like a new.

I think I will order parts from Agriline :)
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

fnoller
True Blue

Post by fnoller »

Broadspeed wrote:I didn't measure/inspect the condod yet, but it looked ok. Bearings were also like a new.

Sorry to say but dont think you can see if its bend or twisted 0.5mm without correct measuring :wink:
Fordson for life...

1955 Fordson Major (restorating)

1963 Fordson Super Major New Performance (New Project)

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

fnoller wrote:
Broadspeed wrote:I didn't measure/inspect the condod yet, but it looked ok. Bearings were also like a new.

Sorry to say but dont think you can see if its bend or twisted 0.5mm without correct measuring :wink:
I don't think it's a problem.. I am working on a company which repairs marine diesel engines, small and big ones :wink: So I can use proper workshop for engine works :)
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Yes, have that rod checked! And doing a little digging as to the root cause of the failure wouldn’t be a bad Idea as well.
When I first looked at your damage my first thought was “hydraulic shock”. If one attempts to start a engine that has water in the cylinder, the result from the piston slamming up and stopping dead when there is nowhere for the water to go can bend rods, crack heads, blow out head gaskets, and crack cylinders……. and I don’t see a raincap on the exhaust pipe. You may want to send the head along as well to have it magnafluxed.

Pat

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

BearCreek Majors wrote:Yes, have that rod checked! And doing a little digging as to the root cause of the failure wouldn’t be a bad Idea as well.
When I first looked at your damage my first thought was “hydraulic shock”. If one attempts to start a engine that has water in the cylinder, the result from the piston slamming up and stopping dead when there is nowhere for the water to go can bend rods, crack heads, blow out head gaskets, and crack cylinders……. and I don’t see a raincap on the exhaust pipe. You may want to send the head along as well to have it magnafluxed.

Pat
Totally Agree. You have some very serious damage. Also, check for proper protution of the tops of all the sleeves. The sleeve may have been working up and down without proper shimming. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

That damage has occurred during the work. Could it be normal piston seizure caused by excess wear and too much dirt in combustion chamber?

I have also magnaflux in my use :)
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

The sleeve could have been cracked for a while before it had the “major failure”, but this is still just a guess, have your friends at the engine shop look it over. Having an idea what caused the failure is much better than having to make the same repairs a second time.

Pat

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

Yes, have to do some inspection :)

Is that overhaul kit from Agriline good quality?
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Couple of questions. Is that a perforation in the liner wall along the line of the rusty 'tidemark'? Had the tractor been standing for a while before the incident happened?

Best

Adrian

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

Will post more pics maybe today.. I am going to dismantle rest of the engine, if have enough time :)

Now I looked at the paint at at the wheels.. You can see orange at the back side of the wheels.. So maybe those have been sandblasted only on the outside and then painted with grey.. So this is normal Super Major :oops:
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64