Hydraulics

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
jamo2020
Not Quite Blue Yet
Location: Olney the pretty market town in North Bucks England

Hydraulics

Post by jamo2020 »

Hi All
I have a 1963 County super 4 .The skid unit being a Fordson Super Major,the problem i am having when ploughing is I lift the plough up at the ends and when I go to drop the plough back down the hydraulics are sticking and it wont drop.Any ideas :cry:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Could be either the unload valve or the control valve. Both mean that the lift will have to come off. I would suspect unload valve first although it is possible that the control valve has wear.

The other more worrying cause could be metal in the oil due to the breaking up of the bull pinion gears and shafts, a problem that occurs on County tractors of that era.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

jamo2020
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jamo2020 »

Hi Brian
Thanks for that due to the fact that I changed the oil and flushed it through with deisel before putting the new I dont think it will be the gears that is the problem,hopefully anyway.#
I will read my workshop manual and have a go at the valves like you say.Thanks for the advise.
Regards Colin.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Colin,

Think you may have caused your own problem then. Never use diesel to wash out the hydraulic system as it affects the lift "O" rings. it may have caused the one on the unloadvalve to swell and cause the sticking.

Fords always recommended kerosene/paraffin mixed with a little engine oil for that job. In fact, in cold weather, paraffin is recommended as a thinner for the rear axle oil.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

jamo2020
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jamo2020 »

Brian
I feel a bit of a twit now just shows you does,nt it when you dont know what youre doing get advise first before starting.
At least it would seem its nothing too bad.

Cheers
Colin.