My current project progress pics :)

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Nick
True Blue

My current project progress pics :)

Post by Nick »

Hopefully there are some pictures attached here Image
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Nick
True Blue

Re: My current project progress pics :)

Post by Nick »

and more ...
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

and more, the last one is the stage im at now, i will post some more at the weekend when ive put it all together

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

Coming alone nicely !! I see you have the mechanical governed minimec pump fitted ! Instead of the old Simms style ! Be nice looking when it's done :beer:
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Yeah, its got a new performance engine, runs really nicely too. I have just finished the second coat on the nosecone, brake drums covers, air filter assembly, hubcaps, drawbar, seat and radiator so i hope to be able to build it up over the weekend. Then there are the wings to repair and the bonnet hinge to fix, then they can be painted and go on. After that its mainly wiring, lights etc and finishing touches. :D

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

That's looking really good, Nick!
One suggestion. Before you put the paint gun away, you may want to straighten your steering drag link, unless its bent like that to clear a loader frame or something.

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Yeah i did think that, apparantly it was bent for some implement which was fixed to the side rails so i was going to leave it, i did try and knock the joints out, but they wouldnt budge. Could you straighten it in place?

JC

Post by JC »

You could straighten it in place with some heat, but it would be hard to get it perfectly straight. Your best bet would be to take it off and use a press. Can you rent or borrow a tie rod puller to take it off?
Keep posting pics. Your Major is going to look really good when its done.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Looking good. :thumbs: Your blue paint looks spot on. Where did you buy it?

Best

Adrian

fnoller
True Blue

Post by fnoller »

:yeah: Looking gooooood :wink:
Fordson for life...

1955 Fordson Major (restorating)

1963 Fordson Super Major New Performance (New Project)

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Nick, she is looking good!
I usably knock the draglink joints apart with two big sledge hammers, holding one against the side of the knuckle, and then smack the opposite side of the knuckle, after a few good whacks the tapered shaft will pop right out, you can actually hear a different tone when it pops loose. Or you can simply back off the adjusting nuts in the end of the rod and leave the ball/shaft in the knuckle. The rod is just a hollow tube and can be bent in a press quite easily, I use soft wood blocks to let then conform somewhat to the shape of the rod rather than leaving it full of dents and flat spots.

Pat

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

The paint is from agriline, and seems very good quality for the price of it! Ive now assembled it and got it running again, there are a few small places which ive missed, but i think once everything is back on it, i.e wings bonnet etc i will touch it up then. I think i may have another bash at getting that drag tube off, i have a 20 ton press here so it will be easy to do providing i can get the bloody thing off. I will also take a few more pictures and post them later :D

Oh, also, i want to check the dynamo is operational before i paint it, how do i go about that? Ive got it connected negative earth, so i would need to polarise it i guess? How do you do it?

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Google Lucas Fault Diagnosis Service Manual. It's a PDF that covers the dynamo, regulator and other Lucas systems.
In the first instance start the engine, switch on lights, place volt meter across battery terminals. Voltage should rise as engine revs rise [with or without lights on -- but lights on will give a better indication of good dynamo output.]

Pavel

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

put the dynamo on the bench. put a positive on both terminals on the dynamo than connect an earth. it should set away like a motor. if it does this it should be ok.

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Ive been hard at work today, im now at the point where i have to repair the wings and bonnet. They are both original, the wings are a bit rusty in the usual places so is not too bad to repair them, but the bonnet is more tricky. The bonnet panels themselves have no rust or dents anywhere, but the hinge has rotted quite badly. Can you buy the hinge assembly, or am i going to have to do something else?

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

and a few more......

I have got to paint the wheels on the insides and give the outsides another coat aswell :D

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Lovely tractor and you've done her proud. :clap:

In the home straight now.

Best

Adrian :thumbs:

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

To ensure correct polarity connect the dynamo body to your battery earth terminal. Then with a wire connected to the live terminal of the batt. stroke the other end of it against the dynamo positive connector 3 times. It will spark, but that's normal.

Pavel

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Very Nice Restoration. 8) :clap: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

thestig246
True Blue

Post by thestig246 »

she looks grand very tidy work! :beer:

im just curious is the lever on the front of the rocker cover a de-compressor?? ive seen about them in the book but never actaully seen one in the flesh :lol:

all the best dan.
"oNe LiFe LiVe It"!!!

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Yeah, That is a decompressor. My Power Major also has one. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Glenn
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Glenn »

Nick; Getting ready to order paint for my project. Could you share on how much paint you have gone though?
Thanks Glenn
1954 Fordson Major
1974 Ford 5000
1948 Farmall C

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

I have used two litres of grey primer (including wheels). I havent done the bonnet or wings yet either. I have used about 1.5 litres of blue, and 0.5 litres of orange so far, but i havent finished the wheels properly either.

I reckon from start to complete finish i will use 3 litres of grey, two of blue and nearly one of orange. Also I have used 4 litres of thinners so far, but that includes cleaning the pot and gun. Hope that helps :D

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

it's all looking very smart, you must be well pleased

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

Yeah im very pleased with it considering Ive never done any spraying before! I used a cheap 50ltr compressor which came with free air tools for £150! It managed it very well!
My only advice to any other people who are thinking of doing this and are novices like me, is make sure there is plenty of light, because ive missed a couple places which i couldnt see properly in the workshop.

Its not an issue really because ive got a few other things to paint so i can touch it in, but i could imagine it would be very depressing if you think youve finished and then find bits youve missed :D