steering problem

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
bigkev
Not Quite Blue Yet

steering problem

Post by bigkev »

Hi all first time posting. I own a 8/64 Super Major and while slashing paddock yesterday I had a problem with the steering.
It started as a clicking sound which I thought was the steering wheel damaged on the shaft but I then had trouble turning.
There has been oil leaking from the steering box area for a while but as is was only minor I neglected it. My concern is that there may be major damage and I would like to know if it's possible to top-up oil in the steering box. There is a grease nipple just below the steering wheel that I have not greased as yet. The steering has until now been very light to turn while moving. Any help would be greatly appreciated. regards Kevin

Pavel
True Blue

Re: steering problem

Post by Pavel »

There is a filler/level plug on the left side of the steering box. A so & so to get at with an oil container. I used an oil squirt can.
Must say, though, it sounds a bit like a ball bearing gone crook.

Pavel

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

To stop the leak you have to use grease cord. This is pressed in place with a washer.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

bigkev
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by bigkev »

thanks for the help guys will try this weekend. dark early now with daylight saving finished. regards Kevin

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Pavel wrote:There is a filler/level plug on the left side of the steering box. A so & so to get at with an oil container. I used an oil squirt can.
Must say, though, it sounds a bit like a ball bearing gone crook.

Pavel
Hello to all around the fordson world. For the guys north of me keep the fire going, looks like a nasty cold day. I'm still having great weather here, been in the 60 F this past week, great for the middle of winter, but then next week we may have snow. I will be working on some fire wood this week.
I have never put oil in the steering box and not sure which one is the plug. I looked at parts listing but can not tell from the picture. Anyone with a picture of the plug and where it is located. Thanks for any help and I hope your projects are moving along better than mine.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

Hi Gman,
here is a photo of the steering gear:
I think the plug is only to reach with the dieseltank removed.
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

henk

Post by henk »

It can be done with an oilcan with pressure lever.

Bit of a problem is to unscrew the nut.
Last edited by henk on Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards, Henk

henk

Post by henk »

It can be done with an oilcan with pressure lever.
Bit of a problem is to unscrew the nut.
Kind regards, Henk

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

county654 wrote:Hi Gman,
here is a photo of the steering gear:
I think the plug is only to reach with the dieseltank removed.
Thanks everyone for your replies. I need to look again at my Power Major, steering box not like picture I don't believe. Looks like the fuel tank is off in the pic. Again thanks for the info.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The filler/level plug is on the clutch pedal side just where the box and steering column meet. It is a 1/2" spanner size, it should be removed and oil put in until it just runs out. Best done with an oil can as suggested.

Second picture down in the top right hand corner is the filler/level plug. Been in the same place on Majors from 1952 to 1964.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks Brian, never knew about this oil. Can I drain out old oil and put in new? I have some 80wt gear oil and I believe I read this is what I should use. Seems I learn something new about my girl as time goes on, every time I'm looking around I find another grease nipple. I want to learn how to get pictures back on here again to show some of my work but the site I was using, imageshack, will not let me send anymore. Does anyone know if you can send them in from my walgreen's pricture site?
Thanks again Brian for all your help and patience, without you my girl would not be running. On the fordson shirts sold on this site, is the shipping expensive to get something to my area of the world?
Good luck to everyone.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No problem Gman, glad to know you are keeping your tractor running.

As far as postage on items goes we have a standard charge of £4.00 for anywhere in the world and it evens itself out over the places we send to. We are limited to what we haveleft in stock, sales have been down so i have not been replacing items as they go out. Drop me an e-mail if you would like something at my bhe address.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hi Brian, I tried to send message on here regarding the shirts but I don't think it went through. I tried to order from home page. I don't know the bhe email address. Thanks again.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Should be in my profile but it is bhe at btconnect.com.
Brian