Flywheel

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Flywheel

Post by Kiwi Kev »

I'm fitting the flywheel back onto the crank.
After much scrapping and cleaning, have found the timing marks on the flywheel. What are the increments. 2 degs? and what is the correct timing.
Kiwi Kev

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No, one degree and 23 degrees.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Brian
I've cleaned the flywheel timing marks, and put white paint marks on the TDC and 23 deg marks (for ease of seeing) and mounted the flywheel to the crank.
Should there be a pointer mark or something in the viewing hole in the sump housing, or is anywhere in the viewing hole is close enough.
Asuming the 23 degree mark is viewed in the centre of the hole, and that the flywheel and timing gears are correctly installed, is there anyway of timing the injector pump without rotating the engine off the 23 mark, and how.
Hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.
Thanks
Kiwi Kev

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Kev,

There should be a notch in the side of the inspection hole to line up with the mark on the flywheel. Make sure this is lined up when the engine is on No.1 cylinder firing stroke. The clamp bolt on the pump drive should be under the shaft not over it.

Just line the marks up on the pump and put it on. The slotted holes in the drive coupling should allow all the movement you need.

If there is no notch in the inspection hole I would make one in the centre.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

On the 590 E engine I have in my Roadless I have found just one timing mark on the flywheel. I adjust the pump according to it but with no idea if it´s correct. That was two years ago. What degree is that mark standing for?