tyre sizes on a selene major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
scoobyjim
True Blue

tyre sizes on a selene major

Post by scoobyjim »

Hi just wondering if anyone knows the tyre sizes for a selene major. Mine seems to be biting on the front axle and is stiff to get out of 4wd

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: tyre sizes on a selene major

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Hey Jim, I have never been able to get my hands on a Selene manual so I have been using the Roadless specs. I’ll try to scan and post the tire specs for you in the next few days.
And I have a question for you, does your Selene have a brake pedal lock on it? The lock mechanism was gone on mine when I got it and I’m not sure if Selene even made anything to fit them.

Pat

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Hi. Do you mean the little lever that holds the peddles down when you press them. Next to the peddles. Mine does not have one no. Just the hand brake.
Was that not just on early models.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Fronts 9.5 x 24 with either 12.4/11 x 36 or 14/16.9 x 30 on the rear. From memory the 38" rims had 12.4 x 24 on the front. Later 1000nd series Roadless conversions had a few variations.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Sorry that info is for Roadless conversions on Majors but there is a fair chance the Selene will be the same. Also worth checking you have the correct rear diff to match front axle since later supers had 2 rear axle ratios available, depends if your conversion is original or made up from a different tractor.

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Checked with john bowen today and the sizes quoted above are correct. He also said the front axle leads when in 4wd.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

scoobyjim wrote:Checked with john bowen today and the sizes quoted above are correct. He also said the front axle leads when in 4wd.
That is so when you go around corners the slightly faster front end speed helps to pull you around. The outside tire moves a little faster than the inside. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

To disengage 4WD on a roadless you sometimes need to select reverse and back up a short way whilst applying pressure to the 4WD lever. It is advantageous for 4Wd tractors to have a slightly faster front axle speed in terms of efficiency for cultivation work I believe.

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Nice one. As soon as i get the front axle built back up ill give it a go.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Jim, yes the lock for the pedals. I’m not sure if Selene just deleted this part or if they had one of sorts. This is what I made/modified to get mine to lock.

Pat

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Looks a nice job. Mine has a handbrake so no need for it really.