Australian compliance ID plates

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
1962 model
True Blue

Australian compliance ID plates

Post by 1962 model »

Hello all,
I wonder if anyone can tell how to read the Ausie plates correctly as I am guessing a bit?

The New Majors here had the engine number stamped into a single tag ion the top middle of the firewall just above the rocker cover.
From 1957 when the mark two models came out the plates changed, the middle plate then had the words;
A FORD PRODUCT
MADE IN ENGLAND
GRANTED IN ALL PRINCIPLE
MANUFACTURING COUNTRIES

Then an additional plate about the same size has three groups of code for example 5.F.9.60 458 A519

My guess is that 5 is either a state code or assembly line, I think the latter, the F stands for Fremantle West Australia, and the 9.60 is straight forward ( or is it ? ) it stands for September 1960, obviously however this does not reflect the changes for parts purposes, and neither does the date code on the side of the block, so these tractors have three dates 1. engine cast date, 2. engine number reflecting a later date, and the final assembly date which can be several months after the assembly of major assemblies in England, and this lag time often went into the next year.

The next bit of code reflects the number of units assembled, but I do not know if this was Australia wide or included other commercial products like trucks, it was probably Australia wide, but as there were different models in different states of Australia then it may reflect individual state production. this one 458th unit produced.

The last part of code is A519 this tractor had a single clutch and hydraulics. In this case it looks to be the 458th model A519 produced. The numbers seem to drop as new models are introduced.

I have details of another tractor which is a code 5. F, 4.59 this one was a wheat belt tractor which did not have hydraulics and had a single clutch, where as general farming tractors did have two stage clutches and hydraulics. It was number 105 produced.
Power Majors here used a code 4529 code, I have three with this code, though the A 519 above seems to be a Agricultural variant produced at the same time also being a Power Major. and the production number is 458 which does not follow the same production sequence as the others.

The three 4529 model Power Majors I have all had two stage clutches, hydraulic top and raised PTO, some came with and others without remote hydraulics, this was an after market thing, probably by Malcombe Moore hydraulic division.
some had the two position front lower TPL mount and others didn't.

My Super Major is a 4914 model code it was the 51st assembled and engine number indicates it was two weeks before the radiator, engine block, PTO, bonnet enblems, front casting, paint colouring and other changes took place.

Does anyone have different model codes on their compliance plates, that they can share with us so we can find trends in compliance plates?
I understand that there were differences between states in their wheel sizes and model make ups?
I am not sure if they made a Farm Major in WA as I have not seen one, and I have worked on these models for years in various situations.

Mike

R W
True Blue

Re: Australian compliance ID plates

Post by R W »

Two stage clutch , raised pto, 3ptl, remotes and an extra comfort seat were all optional extras.
The two stage clutch was introduced sometime in 1958.

astron_joe
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by astron_joe »

5g,8.59 961 A699
She is a power major light industrial loader no pto or 3pl :)

super63
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by super63 »

5B, 6,63 408 9414
Super major, raised pto, three point linkage