Whereabouts of WUF 704 Power Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
will c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Whereabouts of WUF 704 Power Major

Post by will c »

Hello everyone,

I am just curious about what happened to my Granddads 1959 Power Major registration: WUF704 and though one of you may be able to shed some light. He bought it new in April 1959 and it stayed on the farm for several years before being traded-in in the late 60’s or 70’s. It was first registered in Brighton Sussex and I have always assumed it was long gone, however on the DVLA website it is currently listed as SORN so there may be hope of knowing its history. If you know anything then I would be very grateful!

Thanks,
Will
1962 Super major
1960 4wd dexta (home built)
1963 Super dexta

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Whereabouts of WUF 704 Power Major

Post by Kiwi Kev »

will c wrote: however on the DVLA website it is currently listed as SORN so there may be hope of knowing its history.
For those of us unfamillia with UK terminknowledgy???, what does SORN stand for?

Isn't it great to see that people remember their old tractors with great fondness.
I still remember my Dads tractor that I and both my brothers learnt to drive on, a Nuffield universal 3 petrol. I still remember the number plate (340HP) and we must have registered the trailor at the same time because that was 341HP. We sold that tractor in the mid seventies and I think was to be destined to being a boat tractor, poor girl.

Some people look up their family history :clap: some people look up their family tractor history :clap: :clap:
Good luck Will
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

will c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by will c »

Hi Kev,

SORN stands for: Statutory Off the Road Notification, it is basically a means of telling the authority's that it will not be driven on the road, thus avoiding any automatic fines for no tax or insurance on a vehicle here in the UK.

It would just be good to know what happened to it Boat yard tractor or not!

Will
1962 Super major
1963 Super dexta

will c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by will c »

Good evening guys,

I am still on the lookout for my grandfathers old fordson power major WUF704, no luck finding it yet but the search continues, it still hasn't been sold on since 2009 and remains SORN so may be at the back of someone's shed somewhere!

Has anyone else ever had any luck tracking down an old fordson of theirs?
1962 Super major
1963 Super dexta

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I'm sorry I'm unable to help with that. What I am hoping to do is track our tractors all the way back to the day they first ran out of the assembly line, something which is also difficult, but quite different, as the type of evidence needed for that can be visible on many bits. Good luck and although I'm not able to do the most effective thing to help, I'll keep an eye out just in case, as I've often found out odd things quite by accident looking for something else.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Will,

did you try the blue force association? They can publish your story in their magazine.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

henk

Post by henk »

Just keep looking.

Years ago someone asked through the website of our local classic tractor club if anyone knew where his grandfather's Fordson New Major had gone. Five years later the answer came from a trader I knew personally. He had bought the tractor from his grandfather and sold it on to another part in the Netherlands. Years later he bought it back and informed me that the tractor had been found. I told the grandson and he bought his grandfather's tractor back. Unfortunately, the trader passed away shortly afterwards.

Proofs that you never must give up.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

will c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by will c »

Oh definitely, I will keep looking until it turns up!
Unfortunately I don't know where it went when it left the farm so exploring that avenue is pretty much a dead end, it looks like the magazines will be the next port of call, one day I will find it!

Cheers,
Will
1962 Super major
1963 Super dexta

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Our neighbour's dad traded-in their 135, which he had bought new, sometime in the 1970's (I think), much to his regret. He has been watching for a few years, hoping to find it and get it back although I don't think he actively did any searching for it. But a couple of years ago, someone told him about a 135 for sale on Gumtree - and it was it! So now he is retired, he has something to occupy his time..
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.