Baling and hay raking

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Roadless63
True Blue

Baling and hay raking

Post by Roadless63 »

Bit late in the year for hay making but with the weather conditions we've had this year had to take any opportunity going!

With the price of hay this year it was worth going round with the old hayrake to gather up the loose bits

Finishing off the straw baling, had a two hour drive back for the haymaking, lost the sledge on the way over buts thats another story! Combines these days leave a wider swath than had been thought of when the baler was new in 1970!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Baling

Post by Bensdexta »

Hi,
What bailer is that? Any probs maintaining a baler of that age?
What tractor is that bailing? How does it cope with the baler?
Thanks,
Ben

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Baler is New Holland super hayliner 268, surprisingly most bits are still available off the shelf from my local new holland agent albeit at a price - nearly 100 pounds for main plunger bearings some bits are more reasonable and most consumables like pickup tines can be got from aftermarket sources cheaply. Hasn't been too problematic does 3-4000 bales a year main issue with this model is the connecting bar which moves the feeder tine carriage back and forth has a habit of breaking - apparently a weak point which was redesigned in later models. After a number of new and repaired ones I've devised a reinforced item which has given no further problems!
Tractor is a regular Fordson Power Major with 5000hrs on the clock, also use it on the roadless super major as it has a live pto also. Neither are bothered by the baler and sledge combination and are very economical in service.

Bensdexta
True Blue

New Holland Baler

Post by Bensdexta »

Thanks for your very informative post.
What PTO power do you reckon is required to drive the bailer?
Thanks again,
Ben

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

50-55hp runs it OK below that don't know, depends how heavy the crop is, how steep the land, and whether you have a sledge on the back too. Any fordson major will handle the outfit fine, two stage clutch is advantageous.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Baling

Post by Bensdexta »

Roadless,
Thanks. Maybe a bit marginal for a Super Dexta - 44HP?? Maybe without the sledge or in a lower gear?
Thanks,
Ben

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Nice pictures Roadless!

I see your "safety frame"
When we were still in England, we had to fit one to our old FM, safety frame indeed!...I don't know haw many times I brayed mi head against it when going over an unexpected bump!

Here in the Canaajun west, no needum safety-frame.
BTW, we are still harvesting, crops in late as spring was Wet!

Ben, I'm sure a Dexta would bale allright, Just might have to gear down if crawling up a steepish hill.

I've seen Fergy 35's baling, so a dexta would be a bit better.

Richard.