info needed 1960 ford major radiator cap / hose / fitting

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
ron
Not Quite Blue Yet

info needed 1960 ford major radiator cap / hose / fitting

Post by ron »

Hello,
i have a 1960 fordson major diesel , runs great..however,i am missing a part i cannot locate anywhere , there is no radiator cap , and there is no place to put a radiator cap , there are 2 hoses at top of radiator , 1 is not connected to anything , i assume its supposed to have some sort of fitting that accpts a radiator cap , i cant find this part anywhere... if anyone can help identify , sketch up , pictures..something to figure out what belongs here. I have run her alot with no cap,nno overheats or splilage....
ron in connecticut USA
Ron in Connecticut
1960 ford major

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Post by Meanderer »

Welcome to the Forums ron,

I think this should show what you are missing!
The engine is not likely to run to it's designed efficiencies unless the cooling system is functioning as per design. You should be able to locate one from a "wrecker" as we call them in Aust. Others might call them "breakers".

regards,
Rick
'
Regards,
Rick

ron
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ron »

Hello, thanks very very much--i dont know where you found that drawing---but i REALLY appreciate it....
i bought the operators and repair manual and neither showed that part...
now i know what im looking for---thanks again
Ron
Ron in Connecticut
1960 ford major

sandymac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by sandymac »

The complete filler neck/bracket part come on ebay fairly frequently, but aint cheap!

sandy

Tmac
True Blue

TRY HERE Re: info needed major radiator cap

Post by Tmac »

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/ubb/F ... 00055.html

Here is a pix of a wrecker yard in WI USA. They told me they have 7 Fordsons (Dexta-Major) broke down on the shelves, very little sheet metal left. Contact for what you need?
I bought some stuff from them and are quick to ship. Payment maybe made by Credit Card,
Contact info:
Craig
Wisconsin Tractor Parts
5764 Cnty Rd A
Black Creek, WI 54106
1-877-530-2010
craig@asapagparts.com
Web: asapagparts.com...

ron wrote:Hello,
i have a 1960 fordson major diesel , runs great..however,i am missing a part i cannot locate anywhere , there is no radiator cap , and there is no place to put a radiator cap , there are 2 hoses at top of radiator , 1 is not connected to anything , i assume its supposed to have some sort of fitting that accpts a radiator cap , i cant find this part anywhere... if anyone can help identify , sketch up , pictures..something to figure out what belongs here. I have run her alot with no cap,nno overheats or splilage....
ron in connecticut USA

ron
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ron »

sent out 30+emails to yards last nite no luck so far
Ron in Connecticut
1960 ford major

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

If you can't find an original anywhere, you might try cutting the filler neck out of an old (scrap) metal radiator ....should be able to find something in an auto junkyard that would clamp into the hose and you can get a working pressure cap for ....you would have to fabricate a mounting bracket also.

Probably wouldn't be very pretty, but might get you back working.

Regards

ron
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ron »

i considered that option,however,i do not know what psi teh forson cooling system is designed to handle , i do not want to risk over pressuring teh system and damaging teh engine.- it runs fine and does not overheat currently with no cap on it
Ron in Connecticut
1960 ford major

ron
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by ron »

hello all- found this part at worthington ag pars - mb canada--- 30 bux
Ron in Connecticut
1960 ford major