What model is my tractor?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
john139
Not Quite Blue Yet

What model is my tractor?

Post by john139 »

Hi All

I recently moved into a new house and part of the sale was that a, then unknown, tractor was 'thrown in' the deal.

I do not know anything about the tractor apart from the fact I was told it runs perfectly (it does) and that it was a somewhat 'special' model with a bigger engine.

If anybody could shed some light on what my tractor is, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks, John

marcusgs
True Blue

Re: What model is my tractor?

Post by marcusgs »

Hi,

Looks a bit like a Fordson Power Major, with an upgraded 6 cylinder, perhaps lorry engine, fitted at a later date...
Mark

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello John and welcome,

Marcus is right. It's a Power Major model build from 1958 until 1960. This one has wrong fenders and a 6 cil engine.
There's a lot of topics about those engines. Search and learn witch type you have.

Are you planning to keep it?
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

I'm not sure that it isn't based on a diesel major, the clocks are under the fuel tank as is throttle control. Also the butlers headlamp has a curved glass rather than flat, again signs of it being an earlier model. Without looking at casting codes thats as good a guess as you can get! given the engine swap it could be a "bitsa" from 1 or more tractors!

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Looks like a thames trader engine as used un the lorries. This is the engine ford used when they converted them back in the day.
Not that rare really but a nice tractor all the same

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

Looks like a pre Power Major going by the throttle and high/low lever.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

R W wrote:Looks like a pre Power Major going by the throttle and high/low lever.
Hi John
That would be my thoughts. looks like from the clutch cross shaft being further back, it might be about 57 ish. does it have live pto/ hyds( 2 stage clutch). Meaning when driving with pto in gear do the drive wheels stop with the clutch about half way down and the pto /hyds still work or does everything stop. if your not sure can you please post a picture from the other side, showing the clutch pedal and whats under that side foot board, that will give us a better idea if everythings as it should look :wink: .
It looks to me like the mud gaurds are from a Lambourne safety cab :idea: .
The only bit that might be power major is the bonnet and badges :| , but I think you got extra holes in the bonnet for an early badge , depending on it being a mix and match, or a Hienz 57 as we call them in the tractor trade. hey what ever it is it's still a nice conversion for a few 100 thousand and getting a free house thrown in :lol:
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

I was looking at the thick plates on the side rails, and then realized they are the axle/A frame pivot sub frame. I much prefer these conversions with the front axle mounted further back, like this one, than pivoted at the tombstone.
It will make the steering heavier though. Dose she have power steering?
How much land did you buy, to get a Fordson 6 thrown-in.
More photos please, and welcome to the forum.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!